PDA

View Full Version : Stiff shifting in my SIII

AKRover
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
My SIII was in storage for a few years. When I got it back it started right up with a oil change and fresh gas. My problem lies in the transmission though. At first it wouldn't shift at all, then only when it's running and with incredible effort it would shift through the gears (when I say incredible effort, I mean it).

My experimentation started at that point. I removed the seat box and top plate of the transmission. The rods and forks appear ok (through a layman's eyes). I re-assembled the plate and shifter, then lubed it down with a aresol lube. It shifted easier at that point, but still very stiff.

I felt the culprit was gunk so I degreased and power washed the entire transmission, tranfer case, and overdrive. Of course when I was done it appeared as if I drove it through the car was with the doors open. I then again removed the shifter and top plate and applied lithium grease to the fork rods and shifter. I then replaced the gear oil; the gear oil I drained looked like it was in really good shape.

Now I'm getting easy and hard shifting. The gears associated with the outside rods/forks (3/4 gear and reverse) can now be shifted super easy with one finger. The middle rod (1/2 gear) is still stiff but it does shift much easier than before. Also when I shift from the middle rod to an outside rod, I have to actively pull it into neutral, then move the selector over to one of the outside rods. If I don't take time to do this, the middle rod tends to stay engaged and the bottom end of the stick shift goes into one of the outside rod pockets. (I'm sure all this is as clear as mud, if in fact your still reading my post).

The vehicle drives good in all gears and it has never had a history of popping out of gear. I received some advise as to just drive it as is and what ever is resisting that middle rod will work it's way loose. This advise was given due to the following facts: sitting a few years in storage, newly cleaned, lubed, and gear oil change.

Any advise is very appreciated. Thanks.

Rineheitzgabot
07-25-2008, 08:21 PM
ANY grinding between gears, or from neutral to a gear? Even the slightest bit?

AKRover
07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
ANY grinding between gears, or from neutral to a gear? Even the slightest bit?

No grinding at all. Other than explained in the orignal post, it goes into and out of gear very smoothly.

Daurie
07-26-2008, 09:40 AM
The original problem was likely due to all of the gear oil draining out from the selector shaft area resulting in dry rod syndrome.. lol.. You know how that goes. I also found that upon selector shaft cover reassembly that the detent balls acted differently in different holes. (no kidding)
What I did was to put the selector shaft cover back on and test fit the balls. I put them in whichever hole was the closest fit.
You want a solid engagment in neutral position you don't want the shifter to accidently go into gear for any reason.

Since you're having trouble getting into 1 and 2 I'd pull the springs and put the shortest spring into the 1/2 position. I'm sure the springs are supposed to be the same but mine were not. After years of sitting in there they compress.

Liberally coat all internal selector shaf and associated parts with gear oil and make sure the selector shaft seals are properly seated and no binding..

Good Luck