PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise in reverse

msggunny
07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok, so i had a post similar to this a while ago and the reccomendation was that it was the parking brake.

I took this as the culprit and didnt pry further into it.

Well, since i have been having issues with my parking brake i double checked a few things.

First off it clicks only when its in gear, if i coast or put my foot on the clutch when in reverse the clicking goes away.

The tranny hasnt been opened since 2003 and the noise has only started in the past year or so.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rineheitzgabot
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
What vehicle is it?

Does the frequency of the clicking noise vary? If so, with the speed of th engine or the speed of the vehicle?

msggunny
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
What vehicle is it?

Does the frequency of the clicking noise vary? If so, with the speed of th engine or the speed of the vehicle?

Its the SIII.

It doesnt make any noise when its in reverse and the clutch is engaged, only when it is moving.

It does click faster when i accelerate in reverse, and of course it clicks slower as i decelerate.

Mercedesrover
07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Broken tooth on the reverse idler gear is my guess. Happened to me.

SafeAirOne
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Broken tooth on the reverse idler gear is my guess. Happened to me.

Would you get a brief loss in rearward motion or a bit of jerkiness where the broken tooth would normally mesh?

Mercedesrover
07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Would you get a brief loss in rearward motion or a bit of jerkiness where the broken tooth would normally mesh?

Not that I could notice. More than one tooth is engaged at a time and though it made a pretty loud clicking, it didn't feel like it was jumping the broken tooth.

msggunny
07-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Not that I could notice. More than one tooth is engaged at a time and though it made a pretty loud clicking, it didn't feel like it was jumping the broken tooth.

Mine doesnt jump or do anything weird, other than click.

She is going into long term storage at the end of August, guess i will tear her apart when i get back in March.

Rineheitzgabot
07-29-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm thinking broken tooth as well.

When you are coasting, or have the clutch disengaged, the load on the drive train is less; that's why there is no clicking.

Les Parker
07-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Series III "A" suffix gearboxes are reknowned for the "click" on reverse, which as previously noted, is due to a broken tooth or two on the idler.
The later (Suffix B>), used a roller bearing instead of the phos/bronze bush of the "A" gearboxes.

2p

I Leak Oil
07-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Series III "A" suffix gearboxes are reknowned for the "click" on reverse, which as previously noted, is due to a broken tooth or two on the idler.
The later (Suffix B>), used a roller bearing instead of the phos/bronze bush of the "A" gearboxes.

2p

Can the later gear/bearing be used in the earlier box?
Jason T.

msggunny
07-30-2008, 06:09 AM

2p

I will have to check what suffix it is. Its a 77, but its an ex MoD and from Africa so who knows what was changed out.