PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel removal

zebrarover
12-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I asked this before on the old forum but haven't had any luck with the suggestions that were given.

I'm trying to take the banjo steering wheel off of my 1966 iia (early type steering wheel). I've tried various greases, prybars, and hammers with no luck. I've tried prying the opening on the bottom of the wheel open with a screw driver with no luck (and yes I did take the retaining bolt out). I'm afraid that the wheel is rusted to the splines on the shaft.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Seth

Rod Turnbull
12-17-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm not familiar with this type of rover, but I do know that many cars I've worked on benefited from the use of a steering wheel puller to solve the problem. They are similar to a gear puller, you may be able to barrow one from a local shop or rental center. check out > http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/steering_wheel.htm

Best of luck
Rod

Leslie
12-17-2006, 07:49 AM
I too would suggest a "gear puller" type of device. Or, you can do like I do and place your forearms behind the wheel, pulling towards yourself, putting a pump knot in the center of your forehead when it suddenly comes off.....:eek:

If you've put grease in there, it may keep anything else from penetrating well to do its work, but I would suggest PB Blaster for use when getting things to come apart.

Good luck....

Bostonian1976
12-18-2006, 01:14 PM
I had just the opposite problem...my banjo wheel came off in my hands one day when I pulled on it :)

singingcamel
12-18-2006, 02:12 PM
using a puller will ruin your wheel. use some p.b. blaster, soak it and pray it 2 x daily ..3-4 days.this should help you.. www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

Leslie
12-18-2006, 02:42 PM
using a puller will ruin your wheel. use some p.b. blaster, soak it and pray it 2 x daily ..3-4 days.this should help you.. www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

Doh! It's a banjo, not a III... You don't want to go to town on it with the puller, but it could still help if used to gently and steadily apply pressure.

I concur, though, on the PB....

Rod Turnbull
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
If you note on the right side of the photo, the black arrow is pointing to some screwy thingies... make sure these are loosened. LOL

To be honest, I use a gear puller and modified a flat bar of steel to hold it to the steering wheel... but I know you didn't want to hear about this method. May favorite is when you grab either side of that crappy Camaro streeling wheel and pull... and it folds in half, ya, you gotta like that.

Rod

zebrarover
12-19-2006, 12:30 AM
I've tried to use a gear puller and all it did was bend the horn contact ring. I've tried PB blaster multiple days with no luck. I've even used a large screwdriver to pry open the slot on the bottom of the steering wheel without any luck. I even tried using a hair dryer to heat the wheel up to loosen it from the driveshaft without any luck.

If anybody has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Seth

Leslie
12-19-2006, 08:05 AM
The trick is going to be applying constant, firm, steady pressure. Like Rod was saying, you will need to adapt a brace of some sort to apply pressures to places that can take it w/o damaging anything.

The way I did w/ my SIII, reaching behind and lifting with my forearms supporting the rim is easy to do for a short bit, but hard to keep pulling like that constantly, but can be done.... it's just a pain. Plus, I'm not a little guy... using some mechanical advantage would be easier on the self (including a forehead!) Using some flat bar stock underneath/behind the wheel, and a spindle down into the center, if set up right, will end up getting it off w/o damage.

Seriesguy
12-19-2006, 05:17 PM
The right tool for the job looks like a ball joint press with a big rubber covered Y on one end. The Y slipped over the steering wheel behind the spokes and then the pressure screw is tightened and bob's yer uncle. But to use the tools at hand so to speak employ Leslie's method but have somebody smack the steering shaft with a hammer and brass drift while you're applying upward pressure. BTW the steering wheel nutbacked off to the end of the threads will prevent any forehead injuries unless the guy with the hammer gets carried away. Best of luck, Mark

Leslie
12-19-2006, 05:51 PM
BTW the steering wheel nutbacked off to the end of the threads will prevent any forehead injuries unless the guy with the hammer gets carried away.

Hi Mark!

Excellent point!! Take note of this, guys! Pump knots on the forehead aren't fun! ;)

(Tell Lisa I said hey....)