PDA

View Full Version : Parabolic Spring question

enovey
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Why do some rear 3 leaf parabolic spring sets have all the leaves clipped and contained and other rear 3 leaf sets have 2 full leaves and 1 "flatter" helper spring?
Is there an advantage for one setup versus the other?
Please excuse the poor description, if necessary I will try and clarify.

Daurie
07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
What you're describing sound's like comparison between a standard leaf pack and a military wrap leaf pack. Military wrap is where two leaves in the pack wrap around the eye as opposed to one. That way if one leaf breaks you're not dead in the water. If you're contemplating which to get I'd go with the military wrap if it's a reputable brand.

greenmeanie
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
AH, I think he's talking about the Rocky Mountain type design with three leafs all retained by a clip to form a conventional looking spring pack vs the TIC design where they have 2 leafs plus a helper that has a lesser arc and free ends so it only comes into play towards the end of compression.

The TIC design is based on the idea that fewer leafs under normal loads provide a more supple ride but if you need to carry a load or your reach the end of spring travel the extra leaf will preserve your handling. The drawback to this design is that you have the free spring ends hanging out low down where they can catch on obstacles. There is also plastic anti friction pads that can fall off etc.

The RM design assumes that the principle of combining the taper and spring shape in the right manner will provide a similar range without the exposed helper leaf. It may not be just as supple but it still provides a good ride in a cleaner package IMO.

In this case you make your choice and pay your money as they both work.

Cheers
Gregor

enovey
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you both for your replies. Greenmeanie your response contained the info I was looking for.
I just received a set of parabolics from our hosts and I received the TIC style springs.

adkrover
07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
For What It's Worth - I have the RM's and they are great. No matter which way you go, spring upgrades are essential.

enovey
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the "TIC" style springs installed in their truck?