PDA

View Full Version : Need parts to help save the Light wieght that saved me!

derekchace
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey guys me and my wife were in a accident in our 1973 Light wight at the intersection of rt 15 and 104 here in caimbridge vt. well we rolled to avoid hitting a car the pulled off 104 on to 15 without looking. My wide got hurt pretty bad with fractured skull,neck,back,arm,and ribs. But her and i am doing better. We would like to try to save the light wieght that saved us, fram looks good we need to find a body, firewall, and windshield as there is a fair amount of damge to the left rear side of the body but rest looks good. if any one knows of any please let me know eather here or call me at 802-655-4874 would be a shame to total her after she saved me and my wife! not every day you roll a car with no roll bar and live. Thanks for the help guys
derek

SafeAirOne
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the wreck--I don't have any lightweight parts (or sources)--just wanted to say I'm glad you're both RELATIVELY ok. Wow--Was your lightweight sporting a hardtop? I would expect a different outcome with just a soft top.

greenmeanie
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd contact PA Blanchards in the UK. They have a great stock of Ex MOD parts and know their stuff. It won't be cheap with shipping and the state of the dollar but a lot of airportable parts are difficult to find.

For instance bulkheads.
http://www.pablanchard.co.uk/spares.asp

Cheers
Gregor

EASTTNROVER
07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Glad to hear everything was ok, considering...there was just a thread about wrecks, you have any pics? Just curious what kinda damage was done and how the truck stood up. Good luck recovering...

derekchace
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the wreck--I don't have any lightweight parts (or sources)--just wanted to say I'm glad you're both RELATIVELY ok. Wow--Was your lightweight sporting a hardtop? I would expect a different outcome with just a soft top.

Nope no doors or top just the windshield will try to get pic up with weekend thanks guys
derek

I Leak Oil
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Rovers North,
Why not think about helping this guy and his family out! Could be a good story for the RN News and lots of good PR......
Jason T.

derekchace
07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
This is what happened if you want to know will get the pictures up this weekend. thanks guys means alot all the wife is doing ok but has a long road guess kind of kills are plans to for trying to win at the British invasion this year. but thanks for the support this is what was written up for the accident report

On 7/12/2008 at approx. 1730 hours my wife and I were traveling East on Route 15 towards Jeffersonville. We were traveling in our 1973 British Military Landrover. Both my wife (passenger #1) and I were wearing seatbelts which are both non-retention shoulder belts. As we approached the intersection of Route 104 and Route 15 I looked down at my speedometer and I was traveling approximately 35-40 mph. At this time I downshifted to enter the curve in the road. I was in neutral and decelerating by applying slight pressure to my brakes. Upon approaching this intersection I observed a Silver Audi A8 ( vehicle #1 on Uniform Crash Report) at the stop sign on Route 104 waiting to enter onto Route 15. I noticed this vehicle due to the fact that my father has and Audi which is similar. I observed this vehicle when I was approximately 300 feet from the intersection. This vehicle appeared to be at a complete stop at the stop sign when I observed it. I then looked ahead in my path of travel due to the upcoming curve in the road. At this time I am still in neutral and still applying pressure to the brakes. This intersection is free of any obstructions so I knew that I was within visual sight of the operator driving the Audi (vehicle #1). When I was approximately 100 feet from where the Audi was stopped I saw movement in my peripheral vision. I then observed the Audi (vehicle #1) across both lanes of Route 15 in my lane of travel facing South. At this time I applied hard constant pressure to my brake pedal until the pedal hit the floor. My vehicle started to swerve towards the ditch on the South side of the road. I then jerked my steering wheel to the left to avoid traveling into the ditch. Note: this vehicle is a British Military vehicle and the driver’s side is on the right side of vehicle. At this time my vehicle started to rollover starting on the right side (driver’s side) and then hit the roadway on the left side of the vehicle then righting itself on all four tires. I was conscious and alert throughout this incident. When the vehicle stopped rolling I was facing Westbound in the Eastbound lane of Route 15. I had pain in my arm and my head, which were both bleeding. I took off my seatbelt and ran around the back of my vehicle to check on my wife. Once I got to the left side of the vehicle I observed my wife hanging half out of the vehicle and there was matter and blood on the ground and the vehicle. I noticed that my wife’s neck was at an odd angle and her eyes were open but she was nonresponsive. She was being held in the vehicle by her seatbelt and did not seem to be breathing. She had large lacerations approximately 6 inches long under her left arm and blood coming from her armpit area. Her right upper ear was hanging off and she had blood coming out of her mouth. At this time I ran out into the road and started to yell for someone to help my wife. People were getting out of their vehicles at this time and coming to render assistance. I am a trained First Responder through the Vermont Air Guard and I removed my wife from the vehicle and stabilized her neck and waited for the emergency crews to arrive. During this time the operator of the Audi (vehicle #1) came over and spoke with me advising that “he didn’t see me and it (the accident) was his fault”. Also the operator of the vehicle that was behind the Audi (vehicle #1) at the stop sign who had seen the accident had also stopped to render any assistance that she could. The ambulance crew then arrived and transported my wife to Fletcher Allen Hospital in Burlington and I was transported in a separate ambulance. I sustained minor cuts and abrasions. My wife suffered from three skull fractures , a fractured neck and back, a compound fracture to the left upper arm which punctured her left chest. She also had a collapsed and punctured lungs. broke all her ribs on the left side. This is my recollection of the accident and the events leading up to and after.

xsbowes
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Bill at TNTLR.COM has some lightweight parts. He is in Tennessee. I saw he had a used bulkhead, bonnet and some other items.

Tim Smith
08-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Holy smokes!

Derek, I'm terribly sorry to read about the accident. I'm sure we are all thinking this but let me just say best wishes for a fast and full recovery to both you and your wife.

I for one am now going to now have to install that new seatbelt harness I've got sitting in a box somewhere and seriously consider roll over protection in the lightweight. This is just too scary for me, but much more so for my passengers who probably have no idea how bad non-retracting seat belts really are for you.

I believe the other post about crashing a series was here (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4135).

derekchace
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I think if i can save her im going to need a roll bar! i just hope i can find a body and firewall if not then ill buy her back if they total her and just keep her and fix her after the insurance settlement (could take years!)but with only 5k of insurance i get the feeling they will total her.

xsbowes
08-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Derek,
I hope your wife is feeling better. As I said before TNTLR.com has quite a few Lightweight body panels. This rollbar is similar to the one I have for my lightweight, although I keep my hardtop on most of the time. The bars bolt on to the front cappings with three large bolts where the hoodstick would normally go. They have small hoop corners to support the softtop. http://www.tntlr.com/database/products/TLR440.jpg

Stacy

49coe
08-02-2008, 06:49 AM
There is an ad at DAP under used vehicles for a guy selling a complete lightweight for parts. It is in Mass and I think he is asking $1800. Sorry to hear about your accident. - Jeremy

derekchace
08-02-2008, 08:12 AM
great any one know if 1968 is a series III. All the help is great guy my wife is getting better but will be a long road. Please keep the parts links commi g
derek

Moose
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
A '68 is a Series 2a, not a 3. Most of the body parts would be the same with the exception of the front wings and the bulkhead. The 2a's don't have the padded dash.

Brett

derekchace
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
the project one i found was already sold so still looking for parts

Tim Smith
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
A '68 is a Series 2a, not a 3. Most of the body parts would be the same with the exception of the front wings and the bulkhead. The 2a's don't have the padded dash.

BrettYou are talking about regular series trucks right Brett? My SIII lightweight doesn't have padding on the dash either and I think that is normal... but I've been wrong before.

Cheers!

Moose
08-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah, the Ltwt's don't have the padded dash. That's only on the civilian Series 3's. I believe the only external difference between the 2A and 3 Ltwt's is the front headlights.

Brett

derekchace
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Pitcures from the accident. link to photo album http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/Ashpics078.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/Ashpics085.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/Ashpics079.jpg

derekchace
08-03-2008, 03:35 PM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/Ashpics081.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/Ashpics089.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/car%20crash/Ashpics087.jpg

Tim Smith
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh my goodness. When you said you had no top on, I thought you were just talking about not having a hard top on. Wow you guys are lucky!
:eek:

Good luck!

derekchace
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Ya we were. now my wife and i just hope we can save her as she saved us, she even had a name "Penelope" we will see if she can be saved but finding a rear end and firewall is looking very bleak. We were just so luck that rover build them as tuff a they do

greenmeanie
08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I know it's difficult to tel lfrom photos but that is a lot more repairable than I had been expecting. A lot of those damaged pats are removeable panels and as such can be fixed by mreely bolting on new parts.

If it were me, and I was not feeling as sore as you are no doubt feeling right now, I'd start by pulling the rear tub tops and bulkhead top panel off. It'll be easier to see how to fix her if the bad bits are gone.

I'd then measure the chassis and make sure it's not twisted. From the pictures it looks like the lower bulkhead is salveagable and that rear tub might be. After all the real beauty in an airportable is the flat panels which makes replacing damaged ones a lot easier.

If you strip the font wings off, maybe the steering column too and then slacken the bulkhead mounting bolts you might be suprised how much starts to straighten out.

If you are stuck for parts I would contact the EMLRA in th UK. THey will know someone who has parts they'll dell you.

After all the stuff you're going through I thought I's at least play the optimist.
Cheers
Gregor.

Les Parker
08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Hello there,

We all at Rovers North are sad to learn of this incident.
All share the sentiments already shown here, we wish your wife and yourself a full and speedy recovery.
We have little (only a good used bonnet) available for an Air Portable, though if we can assist in any way, please let us know.
I'll talk to "the folks back home" to see if we can locate some parts for you.
Can you advise where the vehicle is now?
I could pop over and see what is salvageable as far as getting replacement panels/bulkhead etc.

Your wife and you are in our thoughts

To all, fit inertia seat belts and certified roll cages !!!

Tim Smith
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks Les.

Derek,
Do also let us know what transpires with the insurance company. Don't let the insurance company simply pay out some amount and take it. These trucks are too rare to let go to the junk yard.

From the sounds of it though, I think you are on the same track...

derekchace
08-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Right now the rover is at the intersection of cilly hill rd and rt 15 in underhill at daves towing behind the wooden fence. It should be there for a little while then moving to GB mechincal in wilistion to have a ex rovers north guy named randy take a look at it. I will not repeat not let the insurance compant total it as i love it so.

Rovers North thank you so much for the support. Please feel free to go check it out it would mean a lot. My wife is doing better but still has some nerve damage in her left arm and hand. Hope fully the nerves come back and there is no problem with her back and neck.

If you can guys put the newer belts and roll bars on you LW as you never know. Im just so impressed that the LW held up! she sure is tuff. Thanks for all the support
derek

Leslie
08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
To all, fit inertia seat belts and certified roll cages !!!

Les,

Why doesn't RN carry Safety Devices' roll cages?

http://www.safetydevices.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=63

(I'm aware of their recent bankruptcy and reorganization of their business, that they had continued to make roll-cages but had dropped roof racks for awhile, but are supposed to be starting back with them before long.)

You guys could probably sell several of their Series roll bars, if you'd stock them.....

RBL020 5SSS/A would be a popular item if you could keep the prices reasonable on them.

http://www.safetydevices.com/images/products/4x4/2008%20catalogue%20-%20defender%2090,110,series%201,2,3%20&%20lightweight.pdf

Or, if not SD, a comparable internal bar, not one of the cappings-mounted variants seen elsewhere.

derekchace
08-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Ive found a bulkhead but i cant seem to find a rear tub any were! can you guys all but you eye and ear out. for would mean alot thanks guys and the wife is doing ok but has to have surgery again on her arm. to fix the plat that in there because its coming loss thanks for all the help and support guys

jac04
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Check the DAP site under used vehicles for sale. Looks like a parts vehicle for $1800:
http://www.dap-inc.com/used/index.shtml

derekchace
08-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey guys looks like they are going to total it........danm i have the option to bid on it, guys do you think it would be worth buying back for parts? becuase i only have 5000 coverage they just said it can not be fixed for that, i guess new tub, bonnet, bulkhead, side panels, windshield, labor, and tires is just to much. danm.......i guess im going to stay away from light weight now......any one know of a good ex MOD 109 for sale? I also have a pair of light weight doors with windows, a light wiegth canvas top and frame for in good condition if anyone wants them no rips in it. Just want to build up some money to buy a 109 thanks guys for the support
derek

LaneRover
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Make a low offer to buy it back for parts. The insurance company really doesn't want it, and doesn't want to deal with it. Take it back, use the other insurance $$ to buy the parts truck at DAP and rebuild. Possibly you could make a bit of $$ off of selling on parts that you don't need.

Brent

derekchace
08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
the truck was sold a long time ago already asked. I think im going to see what they offer then try to sell the parts at the british invasion in sept. If any one know of a good ex military 109 for sale let me know

Tim Smith
08-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I could really use the door for the rear outside tool box that sits behind the left rear wheel. Do you happen to have that or the tool box it's self?

What kind of condition was the motor in? There is always a market for that stuff.

Cheers,
Tim

derekchace
08-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I dont have the tool box but i have the door. I believe the engine was fine i check 2 weeks after the accident and all the fluids were still topped out. as it just came out of the shop. I should know more about it in a couple days but if its less then 1000 i will be buying it pack and parting it out. will also consider trading it towards a 109, I bleave the frame is fine, so i guess would make a great project. I my self am not a mechanic and dont have the finacial resources to pay for it in a shop. I have to start all over again as i had to get a loan to buy her. its in VT if any one wants to come and take a look at it

Tim Smith
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
If you strip it down to it's lightweight skins, I bet you'd have relatively little damage left to be worried about. The bulkhead looks a bit of a mess but that might be something you could bend out in situ.

I also bet that the truck has very little wrong with it mechanically. Pull the plugs, crank over a few times to get rid of any possible fluids in the cylinders and then fire her off. :D

I'd say keep it and make it into an awesome trail rig!

If you decide not to buy it, will it be available for sale as a parts truck? I could definately use a few parts.

derekchace
08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
If i buy it i will be parting it out. I dont have the money to fix her up. I would like to see if any one wants to buy it as a project, and then if not i will just be parting out and try to sell the parts at the british invasion this sept

Tim Smith
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
If my circumstances were different I'd be knocking down your door to get my hands on it. Sadly though, rovers are only allowed to take up a small percentage of my time right now. Not enough time in the day.

It's just not fair!

derekchace
08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey guys ive been thinking I would like to pass this on to somebody, if you are willing to fix it and drive it, and if they give me a good deal i would like to sell it as a whole package to some one that will fix it up. any one know what it would be worth? and what is the max i should buy it back for off insurance, will also trade her towards a 109! if any one need a project

Tim Smith
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi Derek,
I think this will be a tough one to advise on. You would need to take the leap and buy it back. Once you've got it, you will need to try to get it running again and perhaps take it for a test drive or two. Then you would be able to give a good list of what is good and what is bad so that your buyer knows what they are getting. Remember that the insurance company will want to put a big old "Salvage" stamp on your title so that would add a little bit of difficulty getting it registered again. Also, if you do buy it back, make sure you keep all the records from the incident like the damage report. You would probably need that to get it registered again because your DMV will likely want to see that you've repaired the damage from the accident.

Just so you know. When I was rear-ended a few months ago in a sedan, the insurance company let me buy the car back for something like $300 after it was totaled. That was their estimate of the scrap value so use that as a guide.

If I were in a better spot right now, I'd probably be thinking of offering you $500 - $1000 for the whole kit as is. I could use a good motor but otherwise I'd not have much use for the rest of it as is.

The other thought is to take the truck and turn it into a trail only rig. That really limits it's use though but would be the cheapest route in the case that you wanted to keep her under your wing. A bunch of the messy panels on your lightweight can just be unbolted an tossed while you look around for the replacements. The firewall might need some special attention though as the steering shaft might be wracked a bit.

Just my two cents. Good luck and let us know what happens to it.

derekchace
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Im just going to part it out, If its under 500$. well does any body know what a canvas top in good shape no rips and frame would be worth. I have that at the house here, also have a pair of doors and mirrors with glass also in good shape if any one wants these. thanks guys im just going to get a new one or a 109 and try to part it out to make enough to pay for a roll bar.

Les Parker
08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
How much for the whole veh? I need some new doors for my Airportable.

:cool:

derekchace
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
less once i find what they want for it ill figure something out. Yorker has first refusal as he has already asked. If it is to much for me to buy back i can still sell you the doors as i have them and the canvas top and frame at my house. I will know more mid next week

Les Parker
08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
OK, Pse let me know, at your convenience.
I am sure you have more on your plate to worry about than this.
Best wishes to you both for a speedy recovery.
Call me at RN and I'll pass the dtails on for the guy with the Ex-Mod 109" Series IIA.