PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheels

Apis Mellifera
08-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Are there any Rover alloy wheels that fit a Series? Ideally they'd clear free-wheeling hubs.

Leslie
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Rover alloys (like the Castors or Tornados) don't fit over the drums found on a Series.

Not an alloy, but, a Rostyle might.... haven't tried those....

Les Parker
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
How about Discovery I steel wheels?
They fit fine on the Series hubs and allow for free wheeling hubs.

Leslie
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM

LOL!

You mean like on mine Les?

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38479&d=1217903184

(PS: please forgive, picture from last Easter, when the original doortops were on the Rover, while the new ones were being painted.....)

Leslie
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Aw fudge, I forgot, pictures on Dweb won't show up here....

If you're not logged in over on Dweb, you won't see it in the above post....

So, I've attached it here.....

Apis Mellifera
08-04-2008, 09:54 PM

I wanted an alloy for the bonnet mount (tired of a rusty spare). I was specifically wondering about the RR wheel in the background, but it looks like it won't fit.

BTW, when's the next free shipping? I waiting to buy a new seat set for my SIII.

Leslie
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
The wheel on the Rangie is a 3-spoke, a very common wheel on US RRC's; no, it's not compatible w/ freewheeling hubs.

SafeAirOne
08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I wanted an alloy for the bonnet mount (tired of a rusty spare).

If rust is your only concern, why not just buy/make a vinyl wheel cover? It'd be a lot cheaper and also prevent water from puddling on the backside of the rim.

Eric W S
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
^^^^ that or just paint the rim again.

EwS

Apis Mellifera
08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
The design of the wheel and the way it's mounted make it an ideal bowl for muck and water. Additionally, in the winter, the state uses salt on the road here. So, that > paint. I have a spare cover, but a non-ferrous wheel would be better for me.

Tim Smith
08-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I just cleaned up a set of wheels on mine recently and then painted with truck bed liner. So far so good and the whole thing was pretty darned cheap.

Just a thought.

Tim Smith
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
The design of the wheel and the way it's mounted make it an ideal bowl for muck and water. Additionally, in the winter, the state uses salt on the road here. So, that > paint. I have a spare cover, but a non-ferrous wheel would be better for me.Actually I've had alloy wheels go bad from lack of maintenance. The best thing you can do (especially with disk brake cars) is keep them clean and well waxed up to protect the finish.

Eric W S
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
The design of the wheel and the way it's mounted make it an ideal bowl for muck and water. Additionally, in the winter, the state uses salt on the road here. So, that > paint. I have a spare cover, but a non-ferrous wheel would be better for me.

I live in Chicago. I know road salt. A well painted rim will be all right if maintained as others have said.

I guess the best suggestion I would have then is to mount it to the interior Bulkhead. Kept out of the way. And once spring comes, back on the bonnet it goes. Assuming you have the interior mounting points, oh course.