PDA

View Full Version : Intake hose swap anyone??

SafeAirOne
08-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I just received a brand new (ProLine) Series air intake hose (the one that goes between the air filter and the carb) from our hosts. Unfortunately, it is a little too well made for my purposes...I need to stretch it around a tight corner to get from my 2.5 diesel intake to the front of the engine. At 1/4" thickness, the ProLine hose is too stiff to make the tight bend I require. The cheapie aftermarket ones that are only 1/8" thick work nicely, however.

I don't suppose there's anyone out there that has a thin-wall intake hose lying around and would be willing to trade for a brand new thick ProLine hose?

Thanks...

junkyddog11
08-04-2008, 05:27 AM
I don't know what you're running for an air filter with that set-up....I did read it somewhere and recall it being something scrapyard sourced...but I think the shorter more supple hose from a Disco has ends on it that are similar sized to the Series hose.

I can check in the shop, as I'm fairly sure that is what I have on my heap

SafeAirOne
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know what you're running for an air filter with that set-up....I did read it somewhere and recall it being something scrapyard sourced...but I think the shorter more supple hose from a Disco has ends on it that are similar sized to the Series hose.

I can check in the shop, as I'm fairly sure that is what I have on my heap

I can't remember what I had on my Disco with the 4.0...I got rid of it several years ago...Unfortunately, shorter is not better in this instance.

I am using an air filter box out of a 91 Toyota car--The filter box is mounted on the right-hand side of the engine bay and the 2.5 intake manifold is on the left side of the engine bay. What I'm attempting to do is use 2 lengths of Series intake hoses, joined in the middle, s***** across the front of the engine. the 2 lengths are EXACTLY the right length to reach.

The setup I have now uses aircraft grade silicon hose, wrapped in foam insulation for noise deadening. Unfortunately, I dont think it deadens the intake noise enough, hence my desire to change to the thick rubber cloth Series hoses.

graniterover
08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Mark,

I have an old one you can try (genuine). If it works, we can switch, if not, just give it back.

I can drop it by your work if you want, just email me when you'll be around.

Mark

SafeAirOne
08-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Mark,

I have an old one you can try (genuine). If it works, we can switch, if not, just give it back.

I can drop it by your work if you want, just email me when you'll be around.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

The key is the thickness of the material. I'm looking for one that is 1/8" thick, looking end-on. The one RN sent is 1/4" thick and NOTICIBLY beefier than the one I got from BP a few years ago. I'll e-mail you...