PDA

View Full Version : Defender Dash

D110
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm looking to replace my dashboard. It was RHD and then was converted to LHD using the same dash, so it's a bit buggered. Does RN carry all the bits for a LHD dashboard?

Les Parker
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Which year is your vehicle?
We can get most of the dash components for all years.

D110
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
It is a 83 ex MoD, from what I understand (from UK forums) Everything up to the TD5 will fit with slight to no modification. I don't know if NAS bits will work though.

I would prefer a newer model with A/C vents if the price is right ;)

Terrys
08-17-2008, 05:38 AM
It is a 83 ex MoD, from what I understand (from UK forums) Everything up to the TD5 will fit with slight to no modification. I don't know if NAS bits will work though.

I would prefer a newer model with A/C vents if the price is right ;)

The AC Dash (What the NAS dash is refered to) is on an entirely different bulkhead, and will only go on that bulkhead. It is the only dash/bulkhead arrangement where there are NO scuttle vents below the windshield. in the bulkhead.

D110
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Europeans have air conditioning too.

http://usera.imagecave.com/HK_99/ACDashboardWithVents.jpg

Terrys
08-18-2008, 06:35 AM
That is not the dash refered to as the AC dash. AC was optional on '94, '95 & '97 NASD90s also, but is not 'IN DASH).

The dash refered to as the AC dash, is that on a NAS 110, and 'IN DASH (as opposed to under dash) AC used in ROW (not GB, or any other RHD countries)

The heater and Evap coil is a single unit in AC DASH vehicles, and is all under bonnet. The heater and EVAP coil are serperate (Heater under Bonnet, Evap coil in Pass. footwell) on all other vehicles (nonAC dash).
The biggest difference in an AC Dash truck, and a standard truck with AC is the Bulkhead is solid on AC Dash, and all others have Scuttle vents (As all proper Land Rovers have had since the series 2).
The biggest problem in the AC dash was the lousy pneumatic controls and tiny tubes, all vacuum operated. It was also very cheap and flimsy looking, and you gave up the parcel shelf (where spare changes, old peanut shells, nuts, bolts and screws that have come loose, and small tools get forgotten.
I was told that some 110s sold in Japan were AC dash, but I don't believe this is correct, I think the AC dash was only built as a LHD version. I believe it was a very shortlived version, Something like 92-94.

Terrys
08-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Forgot to mention: Aside from the change to the actual instrument panel itself, the rest of the dashboard is the same as a Series III.

D110
08-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm just looking for a LHD dash with "under dash" A/C vents. An aftermarket A/C system was installed before I bought the 110 but the ducting is horrible (aesthetically and functionally); the passenger freezes and the driver gets a gust of luke warm air every now and then. Does something like the dash in the picture exist for LHD?

Terrys
08-18-2008, 08:17 AM
the passenger freezes and the driver gets a gust of luke warm air every now and then.
Uh, It's a Land Rover. You just described the best they ever worked, before they came out with the 2008. (I'm just going on what I've read, I have not seen one in the flesh.
The dash you have shown is the TD5 style, which, apart from the redesigned switch panel in the center, is still pretty much the same as before. The heater cores are marginally sized at best in the TD5 on back, and the AC evap coil is also fairly small. The routing of the airbox on the underslung LR unit is fairly restrictive and the blower unit is too small.
You could replicate that dash if you want to spend the $ for all the new(ish) bits. That will give you an updated look, but not much improvement in HVAC. I have an LR AC setup (D90 style) if you want to replace your aftermarket stuff, but I'm not sure it will cool any better tah what you have. If I remember, you're down south, and I guess it's more an issue than up here. Honestly, I get the best cooling with the bulkhead vents and rear windows open. You've no doubt noticed that you don't get that much air circulation with only the front windows open.
Since these trucks have no insulation, getting them warm in the winter is hard. They will warm up marginally, but the heat loss once moving is great. I haven't done it yet, but as others have said it is an improvement, may try a read heater unit like those sold by NAPA and others, under the back seat, with insulated lines from the engine. I haven't really thought out the circulation, whether to just put it in series with the existing core, or parallel it and hope it gets enough flow.
When I rebuilt my truck, I bought a new D90 bulkhead, and got an entire used one with all dash componants, including the under mounted AC. I never bothered to install the AC, opting for more leg room than marginal cooling.

D110
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks again for all the info. You are correct, I am only 20 miles from Florida

and heat isn't ever an issue here, but cooling is. I think the cooling is adequate with the system I have it's just distributed horribly. A fume curtain alone would help out a lot. (3 door btw) You're right, vents and rear windows open creates a lot of air flow but when the air is 95 degrees and the humidity is in the 90% range it does no good. Could you send some photos of the dash you have?

Terrys
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
This is a year or two old. My trucks completely apart at the moment, but when I get it back together, I'll see if I can get something more current.

Firemanshort
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
This photo is from East Coast Rovers web site - it shows a different model dash - I think the one that you guys are talking about.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/213/9.jpg

JimC
08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
The in-dash C system from the 93 NAS 110 is merely the "early" AC system used in 90's and 110's during the 80's, it had its swan-song in the 93 NAS trucks. It came in RHD and LHD versions. Just spy early photos for blanked-out black bulkhead vents and you'll see it.

Maryland 110
08-30-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.dividingcreekroverimports.com/defender_left_hand_drive_conversion

List of the part numbers and a how to using factory parts

everything I have ever read indicated the underdash units were more effective a/c systems than the dated in dash system.

D110
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Wonderful resource Maryland 110, Thank you.