PDA

View Full Version : Drivers leg room.

Tom Santoli
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
What can be done to increase the leg room in my Series III 109? Move the seat mount rearward is what I'm thinking.

I'm 6'4" and 260lbs and find the drivers seat a little close to the pedals and wheel.

Thanks,

Tom

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I have the same problem.

Let me know what you come up with so I can copy it!:thumb-up:

greenmeanie
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
I fitted Jeep seats in a manner that gives an extra coulpe of inches if that's enough. Beyond that you're getting into modifying/removing the bulkhead which has been done but is a lot more complicated. If it is a station wagon you have more choices.

Chers
Gregor

SafeAirOne
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
If it is a station wagon you have more choices.

I'm 6'-02" and 260#, using stock seats in my 109 station wagon. The driver's seat isn't bad at all for me. I've driven 3000 miles all at once and the only difficulty I had was the extreme angle ones right foot must maintain to depress our curly accelerator pedals. Kinda gets tired after the first 1000 miles...

In the SW you are limited as to how far the seats can go back by the bar spanning across the rear doorposts. The seatbacks rest against this bar. Mine has the individual middle row seats (not the bench). It's the people riding in the middle row that have it bad--there's very little leg room back there--Only 6" for anyone's knees. Moving the bar to increase front legroom is going to just about eliminate the possiblilty of sitting in the middle row. I don't know if it's any different on wagons that use the middle bench seat.

Leslie
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
You didn't mention if your 109 was a 3-door or a 5-door.

In either case, a seat change and/or a relocation of the mounting will help some.

With the 3-door, you could partially remove the tub bulkhead (to make it more like a 5-door or a D90, etc.). However, you would want to add reinforcing to replace (a crossmember below the top of the seatback, or something to that effect).

A 5-door is already pretty much done (save for perhaps tweaking that cross-support Mark mentioned), and the seat change.

FWIW, I'm 6', 240lbs, and have an 88". Yeah, it's not a vehicle you can stretch your legs in as you can another vehicle, but, it's more of a vertically-oriented vehicle than it is longitudinal anyway, so, it works, IMHO..... Just different.... (which is a good thing.... why we have Series Rovers in the first place, right?)