PDA

View Full Version : When things get boring...

Daurie
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
And I end up with too much time on my hands... Gotta find something to do....

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/Daurie/5497683160_ORIG.jpg

adkrover
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Congratulations. You've just confirmed that shiny new Range Rovers do feel like real trucks when they've hit a few curbs. Please send a photo when you've gotten it muddy too!

Daurie
08-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Congratulations. You've just confirmed that shiny new Range Rovers do feel like real trucks when they've hit a few curbs. Please send a photo when you've gotten it muddy too!

Been there done that.. unfortunately I didn't have a camera at the time. In spite of the street tires it's a pretty capable truck. Nowhere the character of my S3 but A/C and other creature comforts are welcomed additions in 100 degree weather.

Funny thing is after driving my S3 for almost a year as my only vehicle, I still find myself looking underneath and checking for oil as back out of the drive..

greenmeanie
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
When things get boring? That tells me you don't have enough series trucks. Never a dull evening with three to keep going.

jp-
08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Daurie,

I thought you were going to buy a Series IIA? Did you end up with a new Range Rover?

Daurie
08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah I did.. end up with a Range. I looked for a while for a 2A and still am looking for the right one. After the lease was up on my previous car the S3 became the daily driver.. that went well for 7 or 8 months and then summer came. I don't have to tell you about the heat and humidity here so I'll leave it at that.. lol. As soon as the heat breaks I'll be back in the S3 on a semi-regular basis.

Yeah Greenmeanie, I guess not driving the series on a dialy basis (even with one) frees up alot of maintainance duty time.

The Sport is only a 2 year lease so depending on if LR offers anything with the TD engine in the US, and the cost of diesel, we'll see what happens when two years comes. It's convenient for me to have a diesel since we have tanks at our shop, but right now thats the only advantage.

Tim Smith
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
After years of trying to think of new ways to gain more articulation, Land Rover goes and takes that out of the equation.

There they go, moving the goal posts on me again. :p

Daurie
08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Tim, I take it you're refering to the traction control. I think LR has done a decent (only decent) job on the traction control. That being said I'd prefer to have control myself over what diff is doing what. The new vehicles have decent articulation as well. No metter what LR offers as far as a computer assisted drivetrain they can't change the laws of physics, or instill an elevated level of common sense in the driver! LOL

Still nothing beats the feeling of being out there in a purpose built off road rig..

Tim Smith
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Tim, I take it you're refering to the traction control. I think LR has done a decent (only decent) job on the traction control. That being said I'd prefer to have control myself over what diff is doing what. The new vehicles have decent articulation as well. No metter what LR offers as far as a computer assisted drivetrain they can't change the laws of physics, or instill an elevated level of common sense in the driver! LOL

Still nothing beats the feeling of being out there in a purpose built off road rig..Hi Daurie,
I was looking at the rear wheel way up in the air and thinking to myself how that just looks funny. If my little series truck did that, I'd figure that the springs had rusted solid... again. :p

It's just amazing what the new computer aided trucks can do but I agree with you. For my money, I want the thrill of trying to figure it all out myself. Letting a programmer behind a desk somewhere figure it out for me is just not nearly as much fun if you ask me.

Of course there are a whole host of things that a Rangie can do that my series trucks can't. At least they certainly do a whole host of things better than my trucks ever will. :o

Cheers!

Daurie
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
The funny thing is I was a phone call away from a new Tacoma quad cab with the rugged trail package. And at the last minute I was persuaded to get the Sport. I had gone so far as to make a list of parts to order for the Tacoma and called a few places to check fitment and availability.. bumper, winch, sliders, wheels/tires, rack, tent.. It was all in the budget until my mind was changed.. lol.. Now when I pass an overgrown alley or a trail that needs investigation thats exactly what I do.. pass.. LOL. I have a feeling when the Lease is up I'll be looking for a slightly used Tacoma with an E-locker as a daily driver.