PDA

View Full Version : Holley carb!

08-07-2008, 10:02 PM
So after wondering about the carb that was fitted to the new-to-me Rover...I now know why it looks nothing like any of the common carbs...

ITS A HOLLEY!!!

I went online and after doign some reading on here and some of the UK forums, turns out the Holleys were a more economical carb to use. My dad and I are trying to keep everything as original as possible btu we will need some gaskets for this thing. Luckily I have found a Scout website that sells rebuild kits.

Eric W S
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
If you looking to keep it original, wouldn't you want a Solex or Zenith?

thixon
08-08-2008, 08:51 AM
If it were me, I'd dump the holley. Every one I've ever owned (admittedly 4 barrels on american v-8's) has been a bitch to own. They are notorious for clogged needle valves, and when that happens, due to what I consider a bone headed design, gas will spill over the top of the float bowl and onto the hot engine. I caught my '61 vette on fire this way. If you keep it, make sure there is not trash in your tank, and you clean/replace your fuel filter often.

08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Eric...haha...you got me...when I said keep it original, I meant the carb itself. But I wrote that early in the morning, I now realize how silly that would be...lol

So dump the Holley? The neat thing is that I was able to fid info on it and and rebuild kits and manuals in less than a minute.

I'll start looking into the other options.

Now I need to figure out where this electric fuel pump came from.

Tim Smith
08-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I say keep the Holley and watch your fuel filters. Never heard of a Holley on a 2.25 but it sounds like fun. Of course, I've never owned a Holley either.

Live life on the edge! :D

TeriAnn
08-09-2008, 12:05 AM
If it is a type 1904 Holley from a 1960-1964 Scout with 152 Cu In 4 cyl engine (About the size of the LR four) AND if it is in good operating condition it should work well in a LR. People who used them liked the fuel economy.

yorker
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I have a couple of them off of parted out Rovers, They seemed to work well enough. Sandy Grice had one and got >20MPG with it IIRC.

I Leak Oil
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Why change it out if you can make it work with a little effort? Go with it if it works....Spend your money and time on cooler things.
Jason T.

Apis Mellifera
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I have one on my S3. It starts instantly and I get about 14mpg. I had one on a Judson supercharged MG I had too. It didn't seem to run that well.

Donnie
08-15-2008, 06:16 PM
So after wondering about the carb that was fitted to the new-to-me Rover...I now know why it looks nothing like any of the common carbs...

ITS A HOLLEY!!!

I went online and after doign some reading on here and some of the UK forums, turns out the Holleys were a more economical carb to use. My dad and I are trying to keep everything as original as possible btu we will need some gaskets for this thing. Luckily I have found a Scout website that sells rebuild kits.
If it is a 5200 series carb used b4 computer controlled power valves, which came on the scene around 1980, they are a good unit to use for mileage. they are a 2 barrell with progressive, not vaccuum operated secondaries.. the most common source for these are from the 2300cc engines used in Pintos, and 4 cyl Fairmonts..if there are ANY wires other than the ele choke, you do not want these as they use a controller to operate the power enrichment circuitI have used them on everything from Volvos to Je???ps....is there a tag on your carb? attached to one of the top bowl screws..?????????

08-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, my dad was able to take it apart and rebuild the thing with meticulously home-made gaskets (my father's doing). Everything inside now moves freely and is free of grime and debris.

Here is two pictures of the carb...

08-16-2008, 12:35 AM
While im at it, here's a pic of the truck itself...

08-16-2008, 12:36 AM
and again... please pardon the temporary mess in the background.

greenmeanie
08-16-2008, 04:07 PM
And if you need a pardon for that garage I need ????

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1068&stc=1&d=1218920733

I need more garage room.

Cheers
Gregor

SafeAirOne
08-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Not to change the topic but Gregor, I'm not too familiar with rover engines that use spark plugs anymore--What exhaust setup is shown in your...um...garage photo?

PS. I'd probably fasten the child seat down a little better before I took the Rover out for a test drive.

yorker
08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Not to change the topic but Gregor, I'm not too familiar with rover engines that use spark plugs anymore--What exhaust setup is shown in your...um...garage photo?

Gregor does not have a LR engine in that 109- he has a 292 Chrvrolet I6 with some pretty cool Leo Santucci type goodies on it. :thumb-up:

Alacrity
08-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Sure looks like an early 1904 - they were used in Fords, Chevy/GMC trucks and IHC - as TerriAnn points out - From the early 50's to the late 60's. Unlike the Rochester B, I believe it only came in one venturi size, with only small variation amongst the mfgs - which helps simplifies things.

The reason you don’t see them recommended as much as B's is supposedly the linkage is much more difficult to convert. Doesnt look any worse than converting a Zenith for a B. Sure the Solex is drop in, but the Zenith linkage doesn’t take much. Could you post a better pic of the linkage?

Funny, drop by a Stovebolt board and they hate the B - commonly complain they warp and leak.

As far as the 1904's propensity for economy - Ive seen Rover claims all over the board - as with Webers.

Luck
Alac