PDA

View Full Version : Distributor, coil, Electronic Ignition Question

bearcrawl
08-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Truck is a 66' 2a that has been switched to Negative Earth by the previous owner (who was know to screw stuff up). I recently removed the old electronic ignition (crane type, externally mounted, works fine, if you want it get ahold of me. I just wanted the engine bay to appear more original) and replaced it with a Pertronix. I read something saying that when switching to negative earth you must switch the leads @ the coil to avoid getting a weak spark. Right now I have the white wire from the factory harness AND the positive wire from the Pertronix going to the coil POSITIVE. Coil Negative goes to the Pertronix negative. Runs fine I am just curious if I am getting a weak spark and am not aware of it. Would the electronic ignition solve that by itself? Can I measure the coil output with a multimeter? If so what am I looking for?
Thanks again in advance.

graniterover
08-12-2008, 05:59 AM
<<Can I measure the coil output with a multimeter?>>

You can test the coil with a multimeter, but I'm not sure you want to measure the output with one.

scott
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
i could never tell the difference. when it wasn't running i switch the to low volt coil wire arond, still no start. once out of curiosity i switch 'em when it was running...well i shut it down 1st then switch 'em, started it up and couldn't tell the difference