PDA

View Full Version : Morris Garage Land Rovers

yorker
12-18-2006, 03:53 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/sIII/seriesIII3.jpg

Has anyone here run across any of these? They aren't anything special, it was just a local dealer and I am wondering how far these trucks have spread.

Jeff Aronson
12-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I love figuring out what kinds of dealers sold and serviced Land Rovers while the Rover Company and British Leyland owned the company. The US market never sold very many per year [app. 1,500 - 2,000] so volume dealers weren't very interested.

I'm pretty sure that my "hometown" dealer on Cape Cod was in Sandwich. Ther might have been dealers on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, too.

In Vermont, where I spent 22 years, the dealership was Lake Buick, in Burlington and later, South Burlington. The name says it all - they'd rather put you in "portholes" than PTO holes. It was odd, too, because there were different dealers for Triumph [Carpenter and Mayforth] and MG/Austin [Almartin Motors].

What about other regions of the country?

Jeff

sayers
12-19-2006, 05:39 PM
In Indianapolis, Indiana it was a small business called Sports Motors, Inc., this was in the 60's and early 70's, can not advise if it is still in business, odds are they went the way of the rovers in 74.

Jared
12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Jeff,
Sandwich, MA is my hometown. Any info on the exact name or location or dealership, I'd just be curious to see whats there now. Willing to bet it's jeep dealership right near Scorton Creek. Let me know what other info you have.

Great thread!

lrdukdog
12-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Around the Tidewater VA area it was "Checkered Flag Motor Sports" I think the "Motor Sports" was part of the name. They sold MG, Triumph, Austin Healey and the Fiat Spider.. the el-cheapo Italian wanta-be sports car. Oh, they also sold Land-Rovers.

Jim Wolf
Elvenwood Kennel