X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crankin
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2008

Quick off and on for tops?

Has anyone rigged a way to quickly remove the hard top off their series?

I guess its really a two parter...

1.) removing the screws and using clamps, vice grips, etc... to keep attached. A quick release...
    2.) Pulley systems to lift off...

Thanks.
    Last edited by crankin; 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB
  • Bostonian1976
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

3) lots of friends
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Comment

• greenmeanie
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

4) Tall tyres and a low garage door?

Comment

• thixon
        5th Gear
        • Jul 2007

5) Remove all fasteners, and drive 80 down the interstate. Wait, it won't go 80. Damn, foiled again.
        Travis
        '66 IIa 88

Comment

• jp-
          5th Gear
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by greenmeanie
          4) Tall tyres and a low garage door?
          With the parabolics on and new tires (with all the air let out) the roof cleared my garage door within 1".
          61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
          66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
          66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
          67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
          88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• madp
            Low Range
            • Sep 2007

Just watch "The God's Must Be Crazy." All you need is a tree and a winch!

Comment

• LaneRover
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by madp
              Just watch "The God's Must Be Crazy." All you need is a tree and a winch!
              Actually the way they did it all you need is a tree and some wire.

Brent
              1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
              1965 109 SW - nearly running well
              1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
              1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                Overdrive
                • Apr 2008

6) Mine is a 4-step process that involves lots of patience and considerable expense, but it is clearly the easiest way if you've got the time:

a) Acquire a wife

b) Have two sons just shy of a year apart. Twins will also do.

c) Wait 16 years

d) Have sons remove top whilst you sip Guinness and supervise.
                --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• scott
                  Overdrive
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
                  6) Mine is a 4-step process that involves lots of patience and considerable expense, but it is clearly the easiest way if you've got the time:

a) Acquire a wife

b) Have two sons just shy of a year apart. Twins will also do.

c) Wait 16 years

d) Have sons remove top whilst you sip Guinness and supervise.
                  i got the twins, boy & girl 17 y/o, but mines a canvas hood. dang

what if you back into the garage, unbolt, stand knees bent in the tub with rear door open, straighten knees, reach out the door grab hook suspended with chain from rafters, get out get in cab and repeat, then drive out and your kids could do the supervising
                  '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
                  '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
                  '76 Spitfire 1500
                  '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• LH Drive
                    2nd Gear
                    • Oct 2006

hooks & chains

Start by backing your LR into the garage so you can later drive forward to exit the garage.
                    I pre-drilled and screwed in 4 large hanging hooks from Ace hardware onto my Garage overhead 2x12 wooden rafters. Space them out 2 inches wider than the hard top. Two mount just over the back corner of the side sliding window. The other 2 just over the front doors of my 88. I used two 2x6 wooden planks about 4" wider that my top. I then drilled and installed some large threaded eye bolts about 2" from each corner. Attatch a lengh of chain to the eye bolts long enough to reach the hooks mounted to the ceilling while the 2x6 planks are in position, one across the upper rear window corners and the other across the upper front door window corner (window door tops already removed and doors shut)
                    Unbolt the top from the body and walk around each corner lifting the top and shortening the chain lengh 2 links at a time till the top is completely off the truck. Then drive away from under the hanging hardtop.
                    Not an easy task but it is a one person job. My garage ceilling is'nt tall enough to mount a pulley system or I would have gone that route. The rear station wagon door has to be removed before you attempt to take the top off. I only use the 4 main bolts that attatch the top sides to the body and use 4 bolts over the window screen. One at each corner and two in the center to attatch my rear view mirror. Have it down to 30 min. to install/remove my top including swapping tailgate for SW door.
                    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                      Overdrive
                      • Apr 2008

LH Drive has a pretty good plan...I'd probably do it that way, providing I had an 88. I Wouldn't have the room to do it with my 109 because the garage door opener/tracks/door would be in the way. My garage has an addition on the rear, so I can drive farther into my garage than most. I think with the original garage, I wouldn't even be able to do it with an 88 because of the garage door tracks/opener.
                      --Mark

Comment

• LH Drive
                        2nd Gear
                        • Oct 2006

I have a 2 1/2 car garage with a small pitch flat roof. I think it would swing a full 109 hardtop even with the garage door tracks. Oh yeah,, I removed the hard top sides and hung the top upside down so I can store more parts.
                        1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                          Overdrive
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by LH Drive
                          I used two 2x6 wooden planks about 4" wider that my top. I then drilled and installed some large threaded eye bolts about 2" from each corner.
                          I like the use of the planks and eye-bolts--a very good idea. 2x4s would probably be sufficient. It would work well with some pulleys and a boat-trailer hand winch or two (one for front plank one for rear).

Originally posted by LH Drive
                          My garage ceilling is'nt tall enough to mount a pulley system or I would have gone that route.
                          I think you'd have enough height to use pulleys if you did it like I did with my canoe, shown in the photo. Just use steel cable, not stretchy rope. I can't get my canoe any higher because the rope thimble is at the pulley already. With your plank/eyebolt setup, the top of the rover roof would be at the ceiling before the cable hardware fouled the pulley.
                          Last edited by SafeAirOne; 12-28-2008, 06:30 PM.
                          --Mark

Comment

Working...