PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Galvanized Series IIA door hinges.

TedW
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know where I can get them?
From our hosts? Les??

Thanks in advance - Ted

leafsprung
08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
dip yours

TedW
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Anyone??

Leslie
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
FAIK, there isn't any place where pre-galvanized IIa hinges are available; Ike's right, you'll either have to have some done, or, locate some that someone else did.

leafsprung
08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
you have to take yours off anyway . . . not that much hassle.

SafeAirOne
08-14-2008, 11:52 PM
you have to take yours off anyway . . . not that much hassle.

If you mean having them dipped is not that much hassle, I agree. It's getting them off in the first place that's the hassle! I think the giant philips heads are there only so the drill bit will center-up nicely when you drill the forward screws out. :(

east high
08-15-2008, 12:02 AM
fwiw, I think there's one on ebay. the seller might have more tho.

bearcrawl
08-15-2008, 12:11 AM
E.H.
Thanks for posting that, I new I had seen some recently and it was driving me NUTZ. I spent forever trying to figure out where I had seen them. Looks like they are gone now but they where there.

Mercedesrover
08-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Take 'em off, countersink the holes to accept a better type of bolt, sandblast them and send them out for plating. I did mine in what's called "clear" or "white" zinc. Cost was under $100 at New England Chrome Plating and they were done and back to me in under a week. Good people to work with.

http://seriestrek.com/109/body26.jpg

http://seriestrek.com/109/body27.jpg

TedW
08-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I bought the hinge that was on ebay - haven't received it yet, and it's the only one he has - it came in a box of stuff he got a while ago.
I know I've seen these advertised somewhere - I wasn't interested in them at the time, but of course I am now that I don't know where to get them.

greenmeanie
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey Jim,
Seeing as the rest of your truck is a giant ball of zinc:) I have to ask what your reasons are for not just hot dipping the hinges? I'm sure I saw an explanation somewhere but it early here and me and the computer are not getting on today.

Cheers
Gregor

Mercedesrover
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
what your reasons are for not just hot dipping the hinges?

This zinc is basically galvanizing but it's not as thick and gunky. The hot dip place doesn't like to deal with real small pieces if they can help it and the way they wire everything together in a clump they wouldn't have come out as well. When I talked to the place that did the hinges I told him I didn't reallly care what it looked like as long as it was silver-ish. My biggest concern was corrosion resistance. He tells me this will hold up to the elements very well. We'll see in a few years.

TedW
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Definitely hot dipped - it looks like the hinge pictured above, only a bit rougher (as you might expect). I'd kill for a whole set of them, but in lieu of that will go the Mercedesrover route.

leafsprung
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
If you want em bad, I can dip a new set of hinges and send them to you . . .

TedW
08-21-2008, 09:20 PM
If you lived up here in Saltville you'd want galvy hinges too.

ScottT
08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I too would like to get dipped, electro or alum hinges. The alum hinges are too $$. The salt is a killer and creates those nice rust lines.

ScottT