PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Million Things Today - Quick Question (Rover related)

Bostonian1976
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
...is a bike rack going to fit on the back door of the 88 without bending the frame? I know these doors are fairly fragile....

thanks

SafeAirOne
08-15-2008, 08:48 AM
...is a bike rack going to fit on the back door of the 88 without bending the frame? I know these doors are fairly fragile....thanks

I've got a huge lump of a spare tire (mounted in the high position) on my rear door and it's OK. I should probably put a center hinge on to make sure it stays OK, though.

greenmeanie
08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
It all depends on the bikes you want to carry. If it is a fairly conventional lightweight XC type bike or a road bike then it should be too much of an issue. I wouldn't do it with my downhill bikes though as they weigh a ton.

Are you thinking about using the spare wheel mounting pad to mount a rack or using one of those ones that hook onto your spare tyre with straps? Firstly I've seen the strap on ones come off and ruina $6K bike after it bounced down the road.

My preference is for a hitch mount one as it is much more secure.

Cheers
Gregor

SafeAirOne
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
...Also, I'd try to keep the load as close to the door as possible (as the spare tire is) so that the force is more straight-down, as opposed to one that is far aft of the doorskin and tends to act a a lever.

Donnie
08-15-2008, 06:41 PM
...is a bike rack going to fit on the back door of the 88 without bending the frame? I know these doors are fairly fragile....

thanks
My daily rider is about 21 pounds, I could hang it on the mirrow, But my Rokon Trailbreaker is about 200 #. that one is another story, I'm not being off the wall here but how many pounds are you talking about??

alaskajosh
08-16-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm reading this on the evening I'm welding up a rack to hold two 5gal jerry cans on my back door. I'm concerned about weight too but I think, if done properly, all will be well. The door is quite strong in it's closed position... it's open and swinging that I'm more worried about.

Adding a third (middle) hinge is not a bad idea.

Kind regards, Josh