PDA

View Full Version : Slipping tranny

jray73
12-19-2006, 08:49 PM
I have a 1994 range rover classic. The transmission is slipping between 3rd and 4th gear at 50 mph. Above 50 everything is good 4th gear feels fine. All other gears feel good and positive during shifting. I was wondering if there is an adjustment somewhere or perhaps an easy vacuume line I might check.

J!m
12-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Probably band tension (internal on the tranny). I believe the torque converter locks up at highway speeds to improve gas mileage. This may be an explanation, but I don't use automatic transmissions, and am certainly not an expert on them...

Now, I'm glad that's waht it was, as I had visions of a transvestite slipping on some ice for a minute...:eek:

sven
12-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately there are no bands in the ZF or vacuum lines attached to it.

Leslie
12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Now, I'm glad that's waht it was, as I had visions of a transvestite slipping on some ice for a minute...:eek:

Ew! :rolleyes:

I was thinkin' that some of the Rangies had a 727TF transmission, but now that I think about it, that may have been early on, and not as late as the nineties (if ever, I could be mis-remembering....)... :confused:

CJH
12-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Might be during torque convertor lockup, which occurs at 50 to 55 mph. Trans is in 4th gear at that point.

Look for a good transmission shop that works on Jaguars, BMWs etc. The ZF transmission in the Rovers was used in high end European cars & light trucks. One way to find the shop is to ask a dealer's (Jag, BMW or Rover)service manager. They should know the local shops.

Rod Turnbull
12-26-2006, 11:13 AM
If it only slips between the 2 gears it is likely the transmission... take note in other gears of the slip... the converter should lock up at the same RPM (not speed) no matter what gear you are in... It could just be crap in the transmission fluid, when is the last time it was flushed out and a new filter put in? However, if there is slip in other gears as well but you had not noticed it because you spend little time in those gear at that RPM it is likely the converted, it will last for a short while but as it gets worse you will want to pitch it and put a new one in.

Rod

On the same page, has anyone ever bothered putting a performance transmission kit in one of these things to get a little more of a crisp shift? If so how was it?

singingcamel
12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
rod,
when was the tranny fld changed last? marc

Rod Turnbull
12-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Ask JRay... I have not had any trouble with mine yet (knock on wood) :cool:

jcb-memphis
11-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Same issue....

I tried Lucas Transmission Fix in my car. The problem went away. Shifts are smoother and quiet.

Great stuff (thought I). I have never used any additive before...but felt like trying it. 150 miles ....perfect.

One week later: the problem is back....

JB

jcb-memphis
11-14-2007, 06:18 AM
I have a 1994 range rover classic. The transmission is slipping between 3rd and 4th gear at 50 mph. Above 50 everything is good 4th gear feels fine. All other gears feel good and positive during shifting. I was wondering if there is an adjustment somewhere or perhaps an easy vacuume line I might check.

Bump...

I have the exact same problem.

What percentage of the time is a full flush going to fix this? Should I indulge in Mobil 1 synthetic at 9 dollars a qt at Pep Boys? They tell me 10 quarts total. My mechanic can only get a few out...is there a proper way to get it "all"....and, will a filter/kit help in this regard (Does RN have such things?)?

What percentage are torque converters...one really will not notice this in the lower gears because the thing switches out of those early.....

Other observations:

Worst when cold..right when starting in the AM here. It has recently been in the 30's.

Recent partial fluid change (1.7qts) with Lucas Fix did not help a lot..it is slightly better.

Switching from 3rd to 4th when it is bad is loud and harsh. If I manually go from 3 to D a few times at 40 to 55 mph, it seems to make the problem go away about 80% of the time, if the engine is warm. It is less effective if just started/cold.

Prior owner claims the tranny was rebuilt 5-6k miles ago. I have no paper and the person from whom he bought is has not replied to email...so I may have been suckered. :-(

So, any help would be great. If anyone has a 4p22 (or whatever it is I need for my 93LWB), ....PM me. Thanks. If it is cheap to fix....I'll keep her. I really like my RR. IF not, I have to move on.

JCB