PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead section replacement?

crankin
08-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Has anyone found a replacement for the bulkhead part that is on the top that holds the seals and the vent seals?

I know that this will take a lot of metal breaking and will have to find someone local to do it. However, If someone out there has found a replacement section that you can purchase and weld in that would be great.

(the picture is the section I am talking about)

Thanks.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/clint.rankin/SKdNT1wWU4I/AAAAAAAAAHE/AYLZ4udQxok/DSC01956.JPG?imgmax=512

leafsprung
08-16-2008, 05:08 PM
not available commercially. Best bet is find another firewall or find one that has that section in good condition.

-Ike

SafeAirOne
08-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I made a section just like that. It was not fun. :(

You can make your own section like that if you don't like fun too.

See http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3814 for an idea of how I did it.

greenmeanie
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
If the windscreen rail looks like that what condition are the footwells in, and the door posts? If you are going to pay someone else to fix that I suspect you'll be well on the way to the cost of a replacement anyway.

Cheers
Gregor

crankin
08-16-2008, 11:42 PM
greenmeanie, the foot lower footwells need to be replaced and the door posts are in great shape.

What happened was that the last owner used tar tape or some junk like that instead of using the correct seal. The tape allowed water to hold on the windscreen area and just rust.

If I remember correctly our host at time sold Defender bulk heads. Did I dream this up? What happened to them?
I have read on a few sites about using a Defender bulkhead and mod'ing it.

Eric W S
08-17-2008, 08:19 AM
greenmeanie, the foot lower footwells need to be replaced and the door posts are in great shape.

What happened was that the last owner used tar tape or some junk like that instead of using the correct seal. The tape allowed water to hold on the windscreen area and just rust.

If I remember correctly our host at time sold Defender bulk heads. Did I dream this up? What happened to them?
I have read on a few sites about using a Defender bulkhead and mod'ing it.

Defender bulkheads are still available. Our hosts had awhile back the NAS bulkheads in stock. Ideally, you'd want one from a 2.5 four cylinder though. My mechanic's son used on of those for his series 3 to good effect.

I think Merc Jim used one as well.

EwS

Terrys
08-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Defender bulkheads are still available. Our hosts had awhile back the NAS bulkheads in stock. EwS
Eric, Which NAS bulkhead di they have in stock? Do they still?

greenmeanie
08-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Of a little interest. Expect the Defender bulkhead swap to get more expensive soon.
http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=128987

Of course it has not been verified yet.

Cheers
Gregor

Eric W S
08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Eric, Which NAS bulkhead di they have in stock? Do they still?

1997 Defender 90. Quoted by RN early December 2007.

I have no idea if they still have them in stock. Call Les. He should know right away. :thumb-up:

Terrys
08-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks Eric. I was just curious if they hed 90 Bulkheads or 110 Bulkheads. They have listed NAS110 Frames, despite the relatively few numbers of possible customers. The 90 bulkhead (NAS)should be the same for all years. I got rid of mine in favor of a 90 because I wanted to get back to a dash with Vents. I gave it away, never thinking it could be chopped up as a donor for other bulkheads. Oh well

I Leak Oil
08-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Looks like a SIII bulkhead so I'd say sourcing a Defender unit would be the most cost effective if you're not doing the work yourself. To try and fix that....there won't be much left of the original metal by the time it's done and would cost a fortune to have someone do it for you. If it's that rusty I wouldn't count on the door posts being to healthy. They might look alright but are probably getting pretty thin. Find a Defender unit or a SIII with a solid upper half.
Jason T.

Eric W S
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Eric. I was just curious if they hed 90 Bulkheads or 110 Bulkheads. They have listed NAS110 Frames, despite the relatively few numbers of possible customers. The 90 bulkhead (NAS)should be the same for all years. I got rid of mine in favor of a 90 because I wanted to get back to a dash with Vents. I gave it away, never thinking it could be chopped up as a donor for other bulkheads. Oh well

I believe the 97 differs a bit from the others. I had been following auto conversions on D-90 and a few had to modify the bulkhead to get back to factory if i remember correctly. Could be totally wrong as well. :D

thixon
08-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Man I hate to say this, but I'd chunk it. Safeairone did an awesome job on that section of his bulkhead. After reading his post a while back I 've always wondered whether or not he thought it was worth it in the end.

If, and its a big if, you found someone willing to do that work, it would be expensive. Way more than sourcing a new bulkhead I bet.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you got three heavy hitters all telling you to trash it (greenmeanie, leafsprung, and safeairone). In the long run, I think you'll save some money, and sanity.

Good luck.

crankin
08-17-2008, 11:04 PM
I am certainly thinking about junking it. I plan on calling George and Trevor tomorrow to see if they have any sitting around. I am also planning on checking with our host to see if they have any Defender frames.

Can anyone think of another source for bulkheads?

SafeAirOne
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Man I hate to say this, but I'd chunk it. Safeairone did an awesome job on that section of his bulkhead. After reading his post a while back I 've always wondered whether or not he thought it was worth it in the end.

Thanks--I think it was worth it, but remember...I'm a cheap SOB. That and I already have a welder, lots of spare time and a can-do attitude (which is an occasional liability).

...you got three heavy hitters all telling you to trash it (greenmeanie, leafsprung, and safeairone). In the long run, I think you'll save some money, and sanity.

Well, TWO heavy hitters and me, anyway--I am not even in the same building as greenmeanie and leafsprung, let alone at the same table. However, since I was mentioned, I agree that if you don't have the tools, ceativity and (especialy) motivation to take on a project like this, it would probably be as cost-effective to replace the bulkhead as it would be to have yours decently restored.

Having just said that, I have no idea what a D90/110 take-off bulkhead goes for nowadays and I know that I PERSONALLY can not afford a rebuild by a particular New England shop that does this type of (Rover) work.

I think I saw some take-off bulkheads on one of the 4x4 breakers websites in the UK. Might be worth e-mailing them with your needs if you can't source one locally. Google/Yahoo "Land Rover Breakers"

Jim-ME
08-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Land Rover Orphanage has some Series takeoff bulkheads. At one point IIRC they had 40. I searched and found a 59 bulkhead which against good advice I bought anyway. It is in far better shape than the one I currently have and should be a better foundation to repair. Good luck with a search if you go that route.
Jim