PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problems?!

woodland88
08-17-2008, 10:56 PM
:confused:
I have been having some issues with my 69 2A and I need some expertise to help pinpoint the issue. For starters, I have the 2.25 Petrol Motor with the Weber carburetor. When I get on the throttle in 4th gear, the engine starts choking and backfiring like its not getting fuel and only stops once I let off the throttle and ease back on again. I've had this problem before and replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and ran some fuel system cleaner through the tank. I have a clear inline fuel filter that I can see only sputters fuel little by little and stops sometimes. It couldnt be because of the fuel pump. Is the fuel supposed to pump like that or is it supposed to be a steady stream. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
:confused:

Leslie
08-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I've got a pretty good hunch, that your fuel pick-up tube is plugged up with almost 40-years' worth of varnish.

My '72 was exhibiting very similar symptoms.... cruising along in 4th, it'd bog down, had to downshift to 3rd, gently work my way back up to speed... then it'd get to where it'd bog down in 3rd and I'd downshift to 2nd.... etc. etc. Once I pulled the pick-up tube out, the screen at the bottom was clogged with an almost putty-like goo from old fuel. I ended up using a .223 bore-brush to clean out the length of the tube.

With your fuel pump and filter replaced, I'd say the pick-up tube is your next item to check. While a little cleaner might have helped a little, I don't know that it'd deal w/ much of it.... maybe enough to have you still tryin' to struggle on the road, instead of totally off on the roadside....

FWIW...

Tim Smith
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Just for fun, you might want to check your points too. I've had all sorts of weird things like this happen due to bad points. I know it doesn't make sense but checking them is easy and it's nice to get that out of the way.

Cheers!

Linus Tremaine
08-19-2008, 12:07 AM
I had three bad fuel pumps in a row from a major supplier here in the states. It pumped plenty of fuel, but at high speeds or climbing hills, it just wasnt enough. I ended up using an old one I had laying around as I couldnt get any of the new pumps to work well enough.

I dont know the status of your pump, but you could try an electric one as a test.

woodland88
08-19-2008, 10:19 PM
What suppliers did you go through?

Terrys
08-20-2008, 07:26 AM
I've had all sorts of weird things like this happen due to bad points. I know it doesn't make sense but
Cheers!

Yes, it makes perfect sense. If they;re not gapped correctly, they will do just what is described.

woodland88
08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Do you guys know what the gap is supposed to be set at?

LaneRover
08-21-2008, 08:34 AM
In a pinch the width of the cover from a book of matches does the trick for me!

Brent

Jim-ME
08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Point gap - .014" to .016"
Jim

woodland88
08-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get that set this weekend.:thumb-up:

woodland88
08-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Here's the latest: I replaced all the fuel lines, pulled the weber apart and cleaned the bowl and jet, put new spark plugs in her because I pulled the old ones out and they looked like they hadnt been changed in 20 years. I also rerouted the fuel line up at the top of the firewall, away from the engine to keep it as cool as possible. I also pulled the draw tube and blew it out. It wasnt split but the mesh was missing. I also blew out the distributer. I took it on a good 10 mile drive and ran very smooth. I also have a good steady flow of fuel through the fuel filter instead of fuel only sputtering through the filter. I THINK ITS FINALLY FIXED!:thumb-up::):):):):thumb-up:

Tim Smith
08-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Awesome! Another one running in tip top shape.
:)