PDA

View Full Version : Advice on towing a series 111 109

TCapelle
08-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Anyone have any experience towing their 109 behind a disco with a a frame tow bar? Can it be safely done?

Is the series 109 vehicle to heavy - I see the 88 with a frame bars on them....

I am hoping to be able to pull the 109 for the 3 hour trip at decent speeds and then un hook and play with the 109 once "up north" camping..

Thoughts, experience or suggestions?

Thx,
Tim

G.G. Sprock
08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
You can drag them as far as you like, but they are heavy. Please make certain to take the driveshafts out as the transfer case does not have any provision to lubricate itself if externally driven. This will save you overheated/damaged bearings and seals. Best of luck!

galen216
08-19-2008, 09:03 AM
You can tow them fine. Official Rover method is transfer case in neutral, gearbox in fourth. This will lubricate the trans as you go down the road. Pulling the driveshafts at the diff and tying them up is easy and takes 10 minutes or so. It does give you a piece of mind that nothing is going to get hurt.

I have flat-towed my 88 with several vehicles and this weekend I flat-towed an RRC home with a D2. I was surpised the RRC towed better than the 88!

Tim Smith
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I'd try over inflating the tires in the 109 just a bit before setting off and just taking it easy in the corners.

Please make sure you either hook up the drive shafts again or are on very flat ground before unhitching the 109. ;)

G.G. Sprock
08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
You learn something all the time. I was familiar with other British transmissions which do not like to have their tailshafts spun, so assumed these were the same. Of course, I did not take into account that you can disengage the transfer case to let the tranny freewheel. Good to know, although I would still take the time to take out the shafts.

SafeAirOne
08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
When I first towed my 109 home, I used my wife's 2005 Toyota 4-runner and a tow dolly. An easy tow with one exception:

I definitely had the transfer case in neutral--I can't remember where I had the transmission. Dirve shafts were all connected, since it was only 30 miles or so to my house. I stopped at a red light about 2 miles from home, but when I tried to accelerate, it was as though I was chained down. Somehow, the transfer case engaged, so I hopped out, fiddled with the transfer lever to no avail and ended up dragging the rover, rear wheels screeching, off to the side of the road with irate motorists wishing me luck in their own unique ways.

Along the side of the road, I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place...pulling the rear drive shaft at the rear diff.