PDA

View Full Version : Value of a tropical top?

alligatorfoot
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I am on the look out for a tropical top and wanted to solicit advice on how much one would cost. I think I found one in rough shape on a junked series (rough shell with rust around the vents, no headliner, dried out rubber around windows. 1 window cracked)? Unfortuately it is quite a haul from my house which makes it more of a hassle, but any advice on how much I should offer would be appreciated.

Also are the tops different for a series I, II, IIa, and III? It looks like in the RN catalogue that the replacement parts that I would have to get (rubber, headliner, etc...) are the same?

Thanks in advance for your help.

crankin
08-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I found one that was in fair shape for $650 and another one that was in great shape for about $1200. However, those prices did not include shipping.

Eric W S
08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I am on the look out for a tropical top and wanted to solicit advice on how much one would cost. I think I found one in rough shape on a junked series (rough shell with rust around the vents, no headliner, dried out rubber around windows. 1 window cracked)? Unfortuately it is quite a haul from my house which makes it more of a hassle, but any advice on how much I should offer would be appreciated.

Also are the tops different for a series I, II, IIa, and III? It looks like in the RN catalogue that the replacement parts that I would have to get (rubber, headliner, etc...) are the same?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Series one tops may be different. II IIa and II should be interchangable.

alligatorfoot
08-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I found one that was in fair shape for $650 and another one that was in great shape for about $1200. However, those prices included shipping.

What was the breakout between the cost of the top vs. shipping? It might help me to determine the benefit of only looking locally or looking more broadly? Thanks?

crankin
08-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry, alligatorfoot, I meant to say that they "did not" include shipping.

Shipping would not be cheap because of the size. I would guess around $400-$500. But that is just a guess.

1961 109 WAGON
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
are you looking for a 109 or a 88?? where are you located??

alligatorfoot
08-21-2008, 08:23 PM
are you looking for a 109 or a 88?? where are you located??

I am looking for an 88 series IIa top and am located in the NYC area.

The best that I found so far was a '73 III top for $200 attached to a truck that sat for 15+ years (completely rusted out frame and dead engine). Condition of sale that that I dig it out from the woods and take the WHOLE truck away (in the end I lost out to the local neighbor who removed it piece by piece):( .

Tim Smith
08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I bought a van top (long sides with no windows and roof) for the 109 regular. It was recently painted and had no appreciable dents and was around $500. No interior whatsoever but that doesn't take much to fix... I probably paid too much but there you have it.

Then again, I got a well used safari roof panel (no sides) for free as of late. This is intended for a doormobile type project I've got in mind but that's another story. Thanks again for the roof panel Jim! :thumb-up:

Long story short, If you are looking for one, they are always more expensive than when you are not looking. Murphy's law.

Shop local because shipping will be a pain.

Rat Patrol
08-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I just spend 8 hours on the road, round trip, and picked up a very good tropical top for $1600. It needs new rubber but the top sheet and rest of the top are nearly perfect.

alligatorfoot
08-23-2008, 11:34 PM
I just spend 8 hours on the road, round trip, and picked up a very good tropical top for $1600. It needs new rubber but the top sheet and rest of the top are nearly perfect.

Sounds like a nice score but too steep for my budget. I have found that "low cost" but with "major problems to fix" usually ends up being more expensive and time consuming than paying the money upfront and getting something already in nice condition. Enjoy....

Also silly question but curious.... what does one do with an old basic top once thay get a tropical top? Seems like it is too big to store (especially with little or no intention to use it in the future) and too common to a try to sell it? Pulling out the glass and scrapping the rest seems wasteful? (Most likely a good problem to have if you have a nice tropical top in its place) :thumb-up: