PDA

View Full Version : 109 series 111 and Series 11a interchangability

TCapelle
08-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Seeking advice

I have a 1972 Series 111 109 that is a pretty solid runner that I typically run as a convertabile

I am possibly purchasing a 67 11a carawagon that needs some rebuilding. What I am interested to get some feedback about it how easy/difficult would it be to essentially switch the 6711a tub and carawagon top when we decide to go camping and then take it back off and run the "convertabile" tub and switch back and forth (carawagon tub is cut and the furniture is in it so not as easy as just removing the top and keeping the tub fasten all the time

I was thinking it essentially is just the windscreen bolts and then the tub to frame bolts and 4 post jacking system (or 4 russian weight lifters to dead lift it for me)

Do the series 111 and series 11a tub mounting holes line up?

Any thoughts on validity of the idea? (I know I am opening up myself for ridicule here...)

Thx
Tim
1972 series 111
90 RRC
98disco
soon to be 6711a carawagon

greenmeanie
08-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I'nm not too familiar with carawagons. As these are camper convresions I get the impression that every on eis slitghtly unique. Are there any additional hookups underneath like extra fuel tanks or water?

When doing the body swap you'll also have to deal with all the niggly little things like fuel fillers and electric harnesses. Then you'll need to shim the body to fit each time so that the doors shut properly, you'll forever be putting new seals under thehard top to try and stop it leaking....

While swapping bodies is quite possible it's sounds like a royal pain just to camping. Personally I'd just go with a hardtop and roof top tent in your situation.

Cheers
Gregor

LaneRover
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
My thought is if you want to go camping before the Carawagon is done then just switch the tops and don't go through the mess of switching ALL of the other stuff. It will take along time to do all of the aforementioned little niggly bits.

Though it is possible to switch the tubs with the top attached how much rebuilding of the Carawagon could you have done once you have done the work to make the switch possible?

Leslie
08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I've got a SIII, but when I rebuilt it on a new galvanized chassis (a Marsland, which is to SIII spec), I actually switched to a IIa tub because the tub on mine was so eaten up with corrosion.

The rear bolts across the back of the tub to the chassis are the same.

The difference comes under the seat-box. (Note: I've got an 88", not a 109", so this may not apply.) There, on a SIII, there are tabs that stick up off the chassis' middle crossmember that weren't used present on the IIa.

I sure wouldn't want to take the roof, roofsides, and rear tub of a 109" off altogether as a unit, but, it should be possible.... You'll have to create some wiring disconnects to simplify such. Also, it would be a PITA to get it lined up and back together each time..... I *really* think that, it'd be one thing to convert your regular 109 into a Carawagon, once.... but a WHOLE other critter to swap back and forth..... I *really* think you'd be a LOT better off having two 109's, one a Carawagon and the other, and not flipping the bits around. IMHO, FWIW......

Momo
08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Not a good idea. It will be too much hassle unless you are deeply committed to hassle. Why? After all you're going to have two of them- one for camping and one for topless fun.

LH Drive
08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
That would be cool but crazy at the same time. Kinda like dropping in a Big Block engine the day before a race and swapping out gear ratios after your first run to get a better time. If you set up for it and have the space to do the swap side by side it might work. Or swapping out the entire drivetrain, tires and VIN plates might be easier.

Tim Smith
08-23-2008, 07:24 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. You are talking about at most, 10 nuts and bolts to undo/redo. I'm unfamiliar with what trim bits might be in the way of it, so maybe there is a lot more.

The big thing will be lifting off the roof and then refitting. If you can make up a tripod or similar, then this would be easy as pie!

Clumsy maybe, but still easy.

LaneRover
08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. You are talking about at most, 10 nuts and bolts to undo/redo. I'm unfamiliar with what trim bits might be in the way of it, so maybe there is a lot more.

The big thing will be lifting off the roof and then refitting. If you can make up a tripod or similar, then this would be easy as pie!

Clumsy maybe, but still easy.

He is talking about switching the entire tub - not just the roof

Tim Smith
08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
He is talking about switching the entire tub - not just the roofDoh!
:o

Yeah, way too much work if that is the case. Although, why would you want to do that when the roof just lifts right off? Is there that much kit in the tub of a carawagon?

Terrys
08-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Fixing what needs fixing on the '67 2A will be a whole lot less work than switching once, let alone back & forth. It's not like a pickup camper.
If you've ever chased tub/door/bulkhead reassembly & alignment, you'll know why I say this. Or, do you just not want two trucks?

I Leak Oil
08-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I think switching the entire rear would become very old after a short time. But if you want to do it, you should make some quick disconnects for the wiring and re-route the fuel filler so it doesn't have to come off with the body each time. Then its just a matter of removing bolts. I assume both rear tubs are 2 door?
Jason T.