PDA

View Full Version : Which year?

JustinC
12-22-2006, 02:42 PM
After much reading I think I’m ready to start searching for my new RRC.
I just wanted to ask your opinion(s) on the specific year I should set out for or shy away from.

I will be using the RR for getting out of town, mostly to the good camping/hiking spots. We rarely drive in town. I don’t plan on much towing, but trips to the lumber yard and marine supply will be common.

I want to spend around 3K. I was thinking a post 89 model with the 3.9L, but would the 4 channel abs for the 90’s be worth searching for? Are the 3.9L underpowered? I fully understand this is not a fast truck, but will I be wishing I spent a little more and found a 4.2L? I know I don’t want to deal with the air suspension.

Reliability wise, is there a favored engine choice, 3.9L vs the 4.2L?

I’m out in Seattle and most of our trips take us over a mountain pass and onto some fire service roads. I’m looking for something a bit more rugged than my VW Westphalia. Something that can handle the snow and mud, which the RRC can do.

Thanks for any tips and advice.
Justin

Something like this is pretty much what I’m looking for:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374 (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374)
vs
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140 (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140)

Rod Turnbull
12-22-2006, 03:10 PM
If when you pack for camping the kitchen sink comes along too, you might want to look for a LWB (Long Wheel Base) model, this will give you more space... if you plan on putting adults in the back seat you might want to look for a LWB model... if you take very little camping and just want to sleep in the back on the floor, you might want to look for a LWB model...

As for year or motor... it depends on how handy you are with EFI system with all the electronic that go with it or would you rather play with something a little older that has a carb up top... or if your just going to dump it off at the dealers when issues arise.

As far as trips to the lumber yard go, with the 94 LWB County, I don't even notice the trailer is attached to the vehicle... but there is a whole other thread on this topic some where here.

Best of luck on the Rover hunt. I picked up mine for just over $2k and put it on the road for only $10 in parts and a few days work playing around with things.

Rod

JSalyer
12-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Rod,
As a devoted Short wheelbase man, I slap you twice with my dirty shop glove,
we will duel with spanners at dawn.........

I think from now on, we have a forum ripped into two camps:

:sly: Long wheelbase men: from now on to be referred as L.A.M.E.(Longwheelbasemen Are Mostly Erroneous)

:thumb-up: Short wheelbase men: from now on to be referred as GODS
(Thats self explanatory)

Gods have big hearts

Gods are smarter

Gods can fit their SWB RRClassic in the garage with all the camping gear/bikes/parts/tools etc.....

:nono: JustinC-Dont fall for it, 8" in the middle does not buy happiness!!

Short, stout and loving it,

Jack, your Bavarian SWB connection

:D PS Cheers Rod.........

Rod Turnbull
12-22-2006, 07:02 PM
The whole time I was posting that, I was wondering to myself who would be the first to step to the plate to bitch slap me... LOL

It really depends on exactly what you are going to do with the vehicle... if you look at the ends of most posts, the hard core people have a list of Rovers... that, I assume is: one for going out on the town, one for driving the kids to soccer, one for towing the other one to the Rover meet that you are going to use it to pound on the trails, you need another to... you get my point.

I'm going to collect a few my self... maybe the question should be, which Rover should I buy first :cool: I think I want a wagon next or a 101... something to tow the SWB to the meets, so I can beat the snot out of it. :thumb-up:

Want some fun, go on the series forum and ask them which you should buy first :D

Rod

JSalyer
12-23-2006, 04:49 PM
JustinC

See what fun we Rover guys have with each other(Rod, I owe you a Guiness for letting me poke fun at you)

Rod is right though, Depends what you want to do with it.

I will say (of course in my favor!!) that you cant go wrong with an early RR Classic(as long as the rust isnt too bad, which will be hard to find!!)
They are just so affordable right now, but take your time, you can get hosed badly on one, almost always better to spend more up front for nice car than buy low and enter a money pit. 1995 models have a dash similar to Disco with the much better HVAC system, but have air suspension you will have to ditch at some point(unless already done).

On another note, Disco 1's are likely to have less rust(although some are in really poor shape) have a much better HVAC system, have 4wheel ABS, marginally better elec systems, little more power(like racing a fast turtle and a medium turtle) and some like the more modern look(but I just love em all). Prices on these have now hit all time lows, and a nice one is very affordable. Buy the newest you can. An early 99 model(just before the SeriesII came out) is just about as good as you can get in a Rover and all of the 99's are plush inside(I think all the ones we got at the dealer where pretty well loaded-it was a stop gap because the SII was delayed a few months).
Defenders(oh I'll here some shrieking on this one, and oh BTW I have owned 3 of them.) are just so ridiculously priced(supply and demand) I wouldnt buy one unless you just want to blow the cash(a RR or Disco can do 95% of what a D90 can for 1/5 the price). Whats really sad is here in Europe I can buy a 2002 D110 TDi for what folks in the states pay for a 94 D90(Thanks to our Govt saving us from ourselves)

Old Series are simply in a league of there own, what a fantastic/awesome/frustrating/money pit of a vehicle!! I've owned 2 of those and will own one again. No other 4WD vehicle captures the heart like an old Series, however, you are buying a vehicle with 60 year old engineering so you have to know that going in to ownership(alot of people dont, and once they experience the darkness of Lucas, cold, wet interior, ears that are in need of hearing aids they sell them)--ah, I love em.....

Hope all this helps,
Cheers,
Jack

JSalyer
12-23-2006, 04:51 PM
JustinC,

:D They are all slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod Turnbull
12-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Stau on the Autobahn kinda slow? :eek:

I'll take you up on that Brew when I get out your way :thumb-up:

Rod

singingcamel
12-27-2006, 02:56 PM
stay away from the 3.5 liters.a tad slow in the mountains ,especially when all loaded down.