PDA

View Full Version : U joint not so good...ugly pic.

T Square
08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Went to go grease my U-Joints in the Siii 88 and found this in the rear drive shaft where it meets the e-brake. (photo)

Looks like u joint about to blow. Whats best option here? Re-build w new u joints or replace whole shaft?

Thanks for any help.

T

SafeAirOne
08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't really see anything wrong with the shaft, unless the bore for the U-joint cap is REALLY mangled. I doubt this will be the case since the cap protects the bore. It looks like a typical u-joint failure. Just replace both universals (since you have the shaft out anyway) and be on your way!

Good thing you caught this when you did--Dropping this end of the shaft at highway speeds can just about flip you on your nose if the shaft catches a crack in the road.

T Square
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
you're not kidding. yesterday i had my young son in his car seat in the truck and we drove all over god's creation looking for some mud. thank god it didnt blow then. it was sometime on that trek i said to myself, 'you know you should really grease the u joints tmrw'. went to grease the rear d/s and couldnt find the nipple it had slipped out so severely. the shaft looks in ok shape. who has the ujoints for this and what is the part no? thanks.

leafsprung
08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
any good driveshaft shop should have the joint. measure the joint or take it to a good shop. If the caps turn freely in the yoke, the yoke is worn out. Check for wear in the splines of the slip yoke by grabing each end of the shaft and rotating them back and forth in opposite directions. Cant tell much from a pic . . .

SafeAirOne
08-24-2008, 05:03 PM
who has the ujoints for this...

NAPA, Pep Boys, CarQuest, or If you want the same thing from a more "official" source, contact any Rover parts supplier...

...and what is the part no? thanks.

See TeriAnn's site:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm#ujoint

T Square
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
you are a good man. thank you.

Moose
08-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Spicer #153 is the uj you want for a Series 3. 3-7/32" cap top to cap top.

Brett

I Leak Oil
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
it was sometime on that trek i said to myself, 'you know you should really grease the u joints tmrw'.

You mean you didn't notice anything while driving it?! If you're not comfortable evaluating the yoke then take it to someone who is. There is a chance that while driving with the joint in that condition the yoke got damaged. Installing a new U-joint in a bad yoke is a waste of time and money. Cool rover S&M picture though......:D
Jason T.

T Square
08-24-2008, 07:54 PM
i didnt notice a thing. it was humming along quite nicely...

it also looks like it has sheared off part of the bolt holding shaft in. tmrw i'll pull whole shaft and take in and see if yoke is damaged or not. thanks for everyones help!

T Square
08-25-2008, 08:53 AM
ok so i pulled the shaft.

edit: prop fine. ujoint cap was shorn off. replacing the u joints. thx!

T Square
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
update for anyone who is bored and thinks u joint replacements are the bomb: I got the u joints from napa 30 bucks. cost 75 bucks to have local shop replace them. so i was going to go home and put prop back in when the mechanic asked me which side busted, forward or aft. i showed which side and he said he thought the shaft was put in backwards and the smaller end should go fwd. in the manual it looks like it was in correct with the bigger end up front and smaller end and grease slide in the rear--but it also says in manual that the sliding member goes fwd. so i'll leave it up to the experts here...i've posted a pic of the prop below for review. can anyone tell me if i have the right end facing the right direction--that is to say, should i put it back the way it was with the larger bulkier end facing forward and contecting to the e brake drum or flip it. thanks for the help! :thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I forget whether you said this was a front shaft or rear shaft (and I'm too lazy to check :D ). If it's a rear shaft, the mechanic was correct; The slip yoke should be forward, nearer the transfer case, where it is protected from damage.

BTW, did you check the front shaft U-joints too?

T Square
08-25-2008, 07:13 PM
rear. so it was on backwards after all. wow. ive had this car for only a month so havent had chance yet to really go thru it but from what i can tell the front shaft and u joints are in ok shape. i can turn and rotate the front shaft about 45 degrees. is this normal play? 1976 siii swb. thx.

daveb
08-28-2008, 09:32 PM
yeah, the 45 degrees of slop isn't too bad. rmemeber that is taking up all the slop in the gearbox, transfer box, diffs, axles, and drive flanges.

btw, your driveshaft pictured is assembled incorrectly and is out of phase. this will result in premature death of the new u-joints. the fixed yokes on the shaft should be in line with each other. you will need to take apart the sliding joint and rotate the two pieces to get it put back correctly. this is shown in the manual.

rgrds
dave in dc

rear. so it was on backwards after all. wow. ive had this car for only a month so havent had chance yet to really go thru it but from what i can tell the front shaft and u joints are in ok shape. i can turn and rotate the front shaft about 45 degrees. is this normal play? 1976 siii swb. thx.