PDA

View Full Version : Inertia seat belt mounting

green 'n stinky
08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
ok, this is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere :confused: ...
My Series III came with inertia seat belts where the inertia reel itself was attached to a bracket which was in turn mounted to the seat base under the seat rail. The mounting point for the lap belt was on this same bracket. The shoulder part of the belt mounted to the bracket on the hardtop.
The reels stopped working properly so I ordered a set of new inertia reel seat belts. With the new ones, however, the inertial reel is supposed to mount somewhere behind the seat just under the shoulder belt mounting point. It came with some 90 degree brackets that mount with a nut plate.

My question is, where exactly are you supposed to mount the inertia reel? Does it attach to the hard top side rails? When I try that, I end up with a twist in the belt that just doesn't seem right.

hopefully this makes sense. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

chester rides again
08-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I ended up mounting mine just above the floor behind the seat. there is a support bracket from the rear tub to the side of the truck. you have to play with the exact placement a bit. i have a 109 regular, so this might not be an option for you. you just want to make sure the mounting point allows the reel to be as level as possible on all three axis so that the catch mechanism works properly.

i don't have any pics, sorry

jeff

greenmeanie
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I bought a set of inertia reels from Exmoor many years ago. They came witha 90° bracket that bolts to the tub rail using the hard top mounting bolt. IT lines up directly under the upper mount bracket.

Cheers
Gregor

green 'n stinky
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Based on the replies, I ended up mounting the reel to the mounting point on the rear bulkhead. Seems secure, and the belt works well.