PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tub Parts fro SIII SWB

crankin
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
On my '72 SWB...left hand drive...

I have the tub off and I am noticing six bars/stiffeners and it appears the bench seats attach to them. There are three on each side...and are riveted to the outside body panel itself. Does anyone know what these are and where I can get them? They seem to be NLA.

Also, on the left drivers side there is a splash guard attaching to the front part of the rear tub. Same thing....NLA.

I have looked through my parts catalog and it does not show these two parts. I was hoping that someone might know what the part numbers are and who carries them.

Leslie
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
LHD that was originally destined for the US market?

For the SIII, Rover started riveting those supports through the outer tub. My tub was corroded out around those rivets, and also inside, where the tub sat on those supports. I ended up swapping to a IIa tub, which had none of these supports, and was far ahead.

No, they're not available (except maybe as take-offs), or *very* desirable. I suppose if you're trying to do a 'concourse restoration' you would want them, but, I was glad to not have them to lessen future corrosion problems.

If I remember correctly, there was an expansion tank over on that side of the original tub, part of the onslaught of emissions-controls being thrown onto Rovers to keep them importable to the US. This piece to which you're refering may have been to cover it.... it's been awhile since I've had a SIII tub to look over.

John O from Jersey
08-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi

I had a tub I thought I was going to use with those and I carefully removed them and, if memory serves, I blasted them thinking I would dip them and re-install. I wound up using another tub though.

Upshot is, I think I still have them and would let them go for a song (plus postage :-)) if you're interested. You can e-mail me at jo(at)omarra(dot)net if interested. I could snap a photo or 2 to show condition. I also have that ridiculous expansion tank in fine shape. Love to get it out of my garage :-)

John O

p.s. wouldn't think of putting those in without first galvanizing them though!

siii8873
08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I also replaced my SIII tub with a SII because of severe corrosion around these supports. I believe they were put in to reinforce the seat belt attachments. I did have an expansion tank behind the drivers. Part of emmisions control for the fuel tank. A hose ran from the fuel tank to this expansion tank to a charcoal canister in the engine compartment to the intake manifold. None of this went back in my vehicle.