PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Gas Tank

Ray Morgenweck
12-24-2006, 02:17 PM
The tank on my '58 series 2 has developed a terminal leak. This happened this summer, about the same time my buddys '69 Mustang developed the same leak. Is there something in modern gas that is causing this (my wifes theory)? There does not appear to be any way to directly get to the bottom of the tank, to use something like JB weld to stop the leak, or am I wrong?

Leslie
12-24-2006, 03:19 PM
My suggestion is to drop the tank to get it out so you can really look it over... it's not the original, is it? If so, it could REALLY be due for a replacement... you need to get into it, clean it out, and see if something like POR-15's tank treatment would work, of if you'd be better served with a new tank.

IMHO, FWIW....

yorker
12-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Unless the series 2 has a unique tank I think you'd be better served with a new one. The POR-15 tank sealer works great but really it makes more sense on a vehicle with NLA tanks. If your tank has lasted 48 years perhaps it is time to put in another new one to last the next 48 years.:D

I've never heard that modern gas has any effect on steel gas tanks, I can't see how it would prove any more corrosive than the gas from 40 years ago.

TSR53
12-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Our NEW ProLine Fuel Tanks are the perfect repair, go in once and be done with it. I'm pretty sure that this is what you need for your 1958 Series II. My friend up in Stowe, VT is in the process of a ground-up restoration on his 1959 Series II and IIRC, this is the right tank. BTW, we were driving it around his property sans body and the tank was right next to the milk crate seat!!! I'll get one of our sales techs here to do double check on Tues. I love to help anyone on Christmas Day!:thumb-up:. Happy Holidays!

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/medium/PLC362.jpg
FUEL TANK - FORWARD MOUNT SERIES II, IIA & III
PLC362 $189.95 (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-4753-103-fuel-tank-forward-mount-series-ii-iia-iii.aspx)

singingcamel
12-26-2006, 11:22 AM
:nono: its the plate which goes over the tank (skid plate) which causes the tank to leak ,it traps the road grit which eventually erodes the tank in numerous places.
i'm a por 15 dealer and would not advise the product for your tank.
there are going to be too many weep holes to coat. the bottom of your tank is going to look like toast.
i agree with Thompson , get a new tank AND don't forget new hardware to mount that tank. marc
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

Erin
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
When I got my '66 2a it had a terrible leak in the gas tank, which was original. I drained it, removed it, and cleaned it. I then sealed the stock holes, soaked it with soapy water, and preasurized it with a bike tire pump. Old inner tubes work well for this. Just like checking your radiator for leaks. After I determined the location of the leak, which was not only on the bottom but on the top and sides as well, I took it to a local welder and had it refurbished. It cost around $30.00 and has served me well for the last 6 years. If it is swiss cheese you may have to buy a new tank. But a simple patch job may be all you need. Then you can spend your dough on a fancy dinner with the wife. :thumb-up:
Good luck,
Erin

fruitpunch
01-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Just a quick note, careful on the welding.... it takes a lot of cleaning to be able to savely weld a gas tank. I tried JB weld once on a leaky 110 tank, worked about 3 days. POR 15 tank liner is soso, I have seen it disolve and clog everything on a diesel rover running on veg oil. Just my 2 cts.

Jeff Aronson
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
If the tank is leaking from a seam or a rusted out spot, it's highly unlikely that it's not going to leak from another end of the seam or from additional rust.

The tank takes some tussle to get out of the car to check it out; you're more than halfway there so you might as well consider replacing it. The standard tank is great; my current one has lasted over 10 years of regular use. If you're really looking for the long haul, John Gerding's [For Rover Forever] stainless steel tanks are wonderful, fit well and last.

Jeff

gudjeon
01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I have resealed a tank on my '57, series 1 with a product called Red-Kote. I purchsed it from a rad repair shop. If you take the tank to such a place they might be able to repair it for you. Worse case scenario: They soak it in their tank to get rid of rust/grime and its swiss cheese.

Jon M