PDA

View Full Version : diagnosing a starter problem Series 3

vermontrover
08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
my series 3 starter has been a bit finicky for the past couple years: often, I would need to rock the vehicle a bit as I sat in my seat in order to get the starter to engage. otherwise, I would just turn key and no sound. now, it won't start at all. no noise. rocking does not help. before spending $400 on a starter, how can I be sure it's the starter and not, say, the flywheel, or something else? I'll of course check connection at starter and ensure it's not the battery. thanks in advance for your help. Dan

yorker
08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
just remove it and take it to your local electric motor place, I've never paid more than $60 to have one rebuilt.

SafeAirOne
08-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Well...If it does NOTHING when you turn the key, It's not likely to be a flywheel. by your description, a likely culpuit is the wiring going to the starter. I'd check the terminals where the wires connect to the post/solenoid on the starter. They have a tendency to corrode and come disconnected over time. On occasion, I used to have to tap on my connectors with a long rod in order to get the rover to start. This was a nuissance that I lived with until the brown wire that feeds the whole electrical system finally corroded completely off, forcing me to replace the terminals on them all.

Also, check the grounding strap between the starter and block.

Tim Smith
08-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Sounds like a solenoid or ignition switch and not the starter. Have you tried jumping the solenoid yet to see what happens?

Apis Mellifera
08-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Assuming the battery is working and you have power at the switch: If you hear a click, the starter has power and the solenoid works. You have a faulty starter motor. If you don't hear a click, put a test light on the starter and hit the switch. If the test light works, you have a bad solenoid. If it doesn't light, put the test light on the switch. If it lights, you have faulty wiring. If it doesn't you have a faulty switch.

For kicks, tap the starter with a hammer. It might be a case of worn/stuck brushes.

BTW, make sure it's getting a good ground. I had a Midget several years ago that would do that and it turned out the be a broken grounding strap. The starter was getting ground through the accelerator cable (which would become quite hot).