PDA

View Full Version : Horn repair

Rosie
08-30-2008, 07:41 PM
The horn on my 67 series does not work. :(
I took it out and checked it with wires from the battery terminals to the horn, and the horn works fine. :)
But does not make a sound when I press in the horn button on the steering wheel. :confused:
The horn has two wires to it. I guess one is a ground, both wires are attached to the two terminals on the horn.
What are some of the reasons the horn may not be working?
The connections in the horn button do not seem very complicated, could there be problems in the wiring? All wiring on this vehicle is new, labeled and looks good.
Thanks!

SafeAirOne
08-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Rosie, The horn circuit is a simple one. Presuming that you have a NEGATIVE EARTH electrical system it should go like this:

On the horn, there is a brown wire that comes from the starter. This wire supplies power to the horn.

There is a brown wire with a black tracer (stripe) coming off the horn. This wire goes to the horn switch.

When the horn button is depressed, the circuit completes and the power flows from the battery to the starter terminal, then through the brown wire, through the horn, through the brown w/black tracer wire, through the horn switch, then through the metal of the vehicle back to the battery.

It is similar for a POSITIVE EARTH electrical system except that the electricity is flowing in the opposite direction and the brown wire will go to the starter switch instead of the starter.

In either case, if you touch a wire to a good, conductive piece of metal somewhere on the rover and touch the other end to the brown with black tracer terminal on the horn, the horn should sound.

If it does not, the problem is between the horn and starter (or for POSITIVE EARTH electrical systems, the starter switch)

If the horn DOES sound, the problem is in the brown w/black wire, horn switch or ground.

The wiring diagram for both positive and negative earth electrical systems can be found here:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-259-276-page-83-land-rover-series-iia-225-litre-electrical-circuit-diagram-positive-earth.aspx

In both diagrams, the horn is up in the upper left part of the schematic.

Rosie
08-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks so much for help! I'll let you know if I find the trouble!

Rosie
08-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Got my horn working!!!:thumb-up:
Thanks everybody!!!