PDA

View Full Version : Parabolics

gentilepiano
09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I recently purchased a 1962 88, It has Salisbury axles and military springs. I look forward to having the truck shipped from Oregon some time this fall. I owned a 88 back in the 70's and I recall the rough but acceptable ride it had. I fear my old bones my not be able to handle the military spring setup. I found a website in Canada that sells 2 and 3 leaf rear parabolics. I understand the difference in payload capacity between the two. But would there be any difference in ride , handling, or deflection, between the spring variants. I don't plan to load the truck with rocks on a daily basis. Maybe a softer ride on the road would make life a little better.
Any feedback would be appreciated
gentilepiano

Moose
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I've got the 3-leaf paras on the rear of my 88 soft top, and in retrospect, they may not have been the right choice. Loaded up with 400 lbs of stuff and the ride is great, but running around empty as I do most of the time, well, the ride is pretty harsh.

That's been my experience anyway.

Brett

alligatorfoot
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
My series IIa came with 3 leaf parabolics and I find the ride to be rather ridgid and stiff. If you have a bad back there might be a better set up option but at the end of the day I think that the ride can only get so smooth (which might still be a little rough).

Firemanshort
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
What both of those guys said....

I had an 88 soft top on two leaf rears. It was fine as wine. Then I put the hard top back on and it was OK - until I loaded it up with gear.

With 2 leaves in the rear with a hard top and some load - the lean was noticeable. It was not catastrophic - just noticeable.

(see photo from 2004 MAR - you can see the squat in the rear lifted up on the front corner.)

greenmeanie
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
When I bought mine many moons ago the advice from Ray at RM was:
If you run a soft top and don't load it heavily then 2 leafs.
If you run a hard top and use it on the raod then 3 leafs are better.
If you are looking for flex for an off roader go 2 leaf.

Gregor

Tim Smith
09-02-2008, 07:36 AM
What those guys said.

I had 700 lbs of concrete in the lightweight over the weekend and it drove wonderfully! After unloading and heading down the road it seemed like the 3 leaf rears were military springs again. ;)

You forget how smooth the ride can be until you load it up every once in a while.

gentilepiano
09-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks to all responders !!
I'll wait until the truck arrives see how bad the ride is. Is it possible to use the parabolics in conjunction with an adjustable load leveler air shock, to give versatility when switching tops etc.
Thanks again
Lou