PDA

View Full Version : de-greaser

Pete
09-10-2008, 05:43 AM
I just started a new rebuild, got the truck completely stripped down to the frame. Would like to clean the years of engine oil of the engine/transmission/transfer case. What is everyone using for a de-greaser/cleaner?

Pete

enovey
09-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Try "purple power". It can be found at Napa, Advance Auto etc.
I used it and had great results.

graniterover
09-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Pete,

My friend Steve who builds the axles (I think you might remember him) uses oven cleaner.

Mark

Rineheitzgabot
09-10-2008, 07:02 AM
"Purple Power"

Buy it by the 5-gallon drums.

LaneRover
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I have found that scraping off the big thick section with a putty knife first helps.

Brent

greenmeanie
09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
X2 on the oven cleaner.

KSMTAW
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I have used carb cleaner and brake cleaner- but they will remove paint- so be careful. And you can accidently spray your self in the eye. Since it is pressurized, I have had it ricochet out of a corner and splash my face once. I got lucky that it just hit my cheek- I was not wearing the proper eye protection.

Todd

Tim Smith
09-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Use kerosene and a brush. :thumb-up:

Never found any cleaner that will simply do the work for you. Best to just get in there and rub it around with a brush over a drip pan. Once you've got the heavy stuff off, you might want to use some brake clean to remove the kerosene residue before repainting. If the part is aluminum and won't get a repaint then leave the kerosene residue on it as it should help protect the finish a bit after it glazes over.

jp-
09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I just use a pressure washer with a 15deg tip. Works great. No need for soap, unless you are going to paint after. If you want to go gentler you can use the 25deg or 45deg tips first and see how well that cleans it up.

Eric W S
09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Use kerosene and a brush. :thumb-up:

Never found any cleaner that will simply do the work for you. Best to just get in there and rub it around with a brush over a drip pan. Once you've got the heavy stuff off, you might want to use some brake clean to remove the kerosene residue before repainting. If the part is aluminum and won't get a repaint then leave the kerosene residue on it as it should help protect the finish a bit after it glazes over.

x2. I have found that it gets rid of almost everything with little to no effort. Brake cleaner or simple green to wash off the Kerosene.

EwS

jp-
09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Maybe I need to run some kerosene through my carb to clean it out? Can you mix it with gas?

Tim Smith
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Maybe I need to run some kerosene through my carb to clean it out? Can you mix it with gas?
You can mix it but I don't know how far before you start loosing a little power.
:p

gudjeon
09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
An assortment of putty knives, small screw drivers, and a wire brush. Scrape the bulk off this way. Then dissolve what is left with varsol and a stiff paint brush, then wipe clean. Time consuming but leaves it ready to paint. Then use the dirty varsol to light the bush pile from clearing the acreage. :thumb-up:

jp-
09-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Am I alone on using a pressure washer? There is no mess after you're done and no chemicals to mess with.

Tim Smith
09-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Am I alone on using a pressure washer? There is no mess after you're done and no chemicals to mess with.
I've tried my own pressure washer once but ended up removing a bit of paint and not really getting the dirty film, that makes the parts look dirty, off. It was good at getting the really heavy caked on stuff off but the motor didn't look as clean after I was done.

Also, I'm hesitant using a pressure washer if you have the parts out of the truck. Unless you can really be sure to get all of the water out of the little crevices you might end up with water stains or possibly rust. If you are cleaning the parts while they are still in the truck, you can then take it for a drive and boil the water off. You will still invite rust though if you ended up taking the paint off.

There used to be a pressure washer business not far from me, and I believe they used a light acid to really get the parts clean. I think the EPA shut them down though. :eek:

When you have parts out of the truck, I still stand by the good old kerosene over a large bucket with a brush. I also think that it leaves a mild protective layer on the aluminum parts like the transmission, transfer case, etc such that it will keep them looking good a little further down the road.

To each their own though.

Cheers!