PDA

View Full Version : cam positoning tool?

jastone2
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
hello, im doing a timing belt job on a land rover and had a question about a timing belt postioning tool. where can i find one?will an acura cam postioning tool work? im located in lakeland, fl? is there anyone willing to let us borrow it for this job? Thanks, JEff

greenmeanie
09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
In that you are talking timing belts you must be working on one of the new fangled Land Rovers. This part of the forum is where the really old rovers talk so we are probably not much help. Series trucks have timing chains.

You will get a better response if you tell people what model and engine you are working on. With that in mind I would go up one level from here and ask your question on one of the forums for the modern trucks.

SafeAirOne
09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Mine's got a timing belt...but no spark plugs.

Mercedesrover
09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Mine's got a chain...but no spark plugs.

Seriously, I've done timing belts on lots of engines with spring tension on the lobes at the timing marks. Takes a steady hand and a bit of care but not a big deal. I wouldn't worry about a tool.

graniterover
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Besides, if Jim needed a tool for it, he'd make it by ordering a pile of **** from mcmaster carr, find something from the floor of his shop intended for something else, head down the street to his friends laser cutter, galvanize it, and the paint it with some polymer stuff we've never heard of.