PDA

View Full Version : alternator for Series IIA NADA

dansalisbury72
09-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know which alternator will work on a 2.6L NADA motor? I see a couple on the Rovers North page for sale for around $250, but will one from a local parts store work also? If so, what have you all used?

thanks...
Dan in NC

CliftonRover
09-18-2008, 10:55 PM
some gm alternators work, your best bet would be to take yours into the shop and compare it to others.

badvibes
09-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Dan in NC-

Here's alink to one set of online instructions that you might find interesting. I did the Delco switch a few years back and am glad I did. I did the positive to negative ground conversion also. The advantage is being able to find an alternator in most any local parts house and being able to wire things like CB radios easily. Of course if you want to stay original disregard all this. The most time consuming part was making brackets for the Delco alternator. I think mine is a 10SI.

http://www.bayourovers.com/trick12.html

Leslie
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Don't know about the setup in a 2.6, but, for my 2.25, I used a 3-wire 63-amp Delco 10si from Advance w/ a lifetime replacement for ~$50 (clocked at 3 o'clock, FWIW). Picked up the two-wire-side-clip there for it while there.

I had to remove the Lucas style plug and convert the large wire to a ring terminal for the rear mount, then tied the red from the side-wire in with it, with the white being the sense wire.

For mounting: if I had thought and gotten one w/ a second pulley, I could have mounted it 'normally', but w/o a second pulley on it, mounting it normally would put the pulley to too far back, out of plane. So, I inverted it, mounted the screw-side down below instead, on the outside of the existing bracket; that way, I didn't need to make a bracket. For the top, I had to put a jog in the slider lever to step it foward as I relocated it to a higher bolt on the water pump so that it would reach the new location. Ended up, I still used the stock fan-belt even. There's not a lot of play, I have to push it all the way up to squeeze the fanbelt onto the pulley, then it comes back out just a bit to be snug.

Really works well. I'm pleased.

For information: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

Leslie
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, one comment, tho'.....

If you get a dual-pulley setup, I would try to mount it normally instead of inverted. If you try it inverted, use a grade 8 bolt at the bottom instead of a grade 5; I had a grade 5 snap off right where the threads began. Swapped to a grade 8, and it's still holding up. FWIW....

dansalisbury72
09-23-2008, 06:53 PM
thanks for the feedback - I went to two auto parts stores this weekend (Pep Boys and Advanced Auto) and neither carried the Delco, nor could they cross reference that model with the brand that they carried. Where do they typically carry Delco parts?

Again, appreciate the info.

Dan

Leslie
09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Whoa! A Delco-Remy is the most-copied alternator out there. Half of the alternators on their shelves are probably like it..... find an *older* guy behind the counter, not a kid.... mine came from Advance, but NAPA, anywhere will have one that's suitable...

Tell 'em you want an alternator for something like, a '77 Camaro..... that'd be close.... then go from there.... see if you can find a dual pulley, decode if you want it clocked at 3 or at 6 (I wouldn't at 12 FWIW).....

badvibes
09-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Got my Delco at NAPA.

Pete
09-24-2008, 05:27 AM
I just made the switch also. I used the Ike Goss kit to relocate it and bought my 10si at NAPA. Have to admit, most of the kids have no idea what you are looking for etc. Grab the book from them, flip through the alt and you will find the 10si in a matter of seconds.

Pete

daveb
09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
ask for one from a 76-82 chevette and it will have a longer foot that will stand it further away from the block and frame. not an issue with the ike g. unit though.

I just made the switch also. I used the Ike Goss kit to relocate it and bought my 10si at NAPA. Have to admit, most of the kids have no idea what you are looking for etc. Grab the book from them, flip through the alt and you will find the 10si in a matter of seconds.

Pete

scott
09-24-2008, 09:28 AM
i got mine from napa, i asked for a '70 nova. it's clocked at 9 which means as you look at it from the rear the connections are at 9 o'clock. this keeps the wires way from the engine imo. i fabbed my lower and upper brackets. careful i went with the 80 amp cuz i've a double battery set up and fried the amp meter.