PDA

View Full Version : Welding on frame...reinforceing frame??

esquivelia
09-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Anyone have experience welding on the frame to reinforce the frame?
pointers? Suggestions?

Rineheitzgabot
09-19-2008, 08:24 AM
You probably need to provide more details.

-Are you reinforcing a damaged/rusted place, or is it in good shape and you are just reinforcing it because you want to?

-What kind of questions do you have? Are you a novice welder, or experienced?

By narrowing it down, you will likely get more input from guests.

-Gary

esquivelia
09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd say I'm an intermediate welder.. I've welded in the marine industry and sign industry...mostly aluminum.

Daurie
09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
What sections are you wanting to reinforce? What welding process are you most familiar with? Formerly working with mostly Alum. i suspect Tig and some mig.

esquivelia
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
actually mig welding.. I have one that has the spool right on the gun for aluminum. The spots that need reinforcement are the horns just above the front axle. :)

I Leak Oil
09-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Not sure what the question here is. It's just a carbon steel frame. Clean it up and plate it as needed. If it's rusty then replacement horns are available. Take good measurements and weld away!
Jason T.

Tim Smith
09-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I had a break in the front horn once and it was right where the front cross member was oposite. Looks like a weak spot so I opted for a new frame.

Glad I did because once the truck was off the frame, I could see that there really wasn't much meat left in the frame to weld to. If I were to do this repair, then I'd probably want to cut out the old sides of the frame and weld in new ones. This is opposed to just welding in reinforcing plates on the sides and bottom.

Just wouldn't have been enough meat in the old frame to make a strong repair.

SafeAirOne
09-20-2008, 07:40 PM
One thing that many decent chassis fixers do is to cut the patch so the forward and rear edges are shaped like big letter "U's" turned on their sides. This spreads the stress (where the old chassis is doubled up with the new patch) over more of the old chassis.

If you just go straight across from top to bottom of the old chasis with your patch, stress is concentrated along the seam and could be the location of your next crack.

esquivelia
09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all of your comments/suggestions! Someone had mention that there are replacement horns available...I haven't been able to find any. Any suggestions on where to locate? The comment about the cutting the sidway v's into the patchwork...I'm guessing this is to accomplish more of a sheer strength?

Thanks again guys! Cory-

49coe
09-22-2008, 11:29 AM
There is a set of replacement horns on ebay as we speak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Series-88-109-Land-Rover-front-frame-repair-section-new_W0QQitemZ300260506887QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 00260506887&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245