PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Recalibration Options

Tdi Guy
09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I have a Ser IIa with an lt77 and lt230 setup.. I would like to get my speedo to be a bit more accurate. it is about 12mph off. DOes anyone recalibrate these?

Randy

Eric W S
09-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Nisonger should be able to do so.

Jim-ME
09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I agree if Nisonger can't then no one can. You may find it less expensive to buy an inexpensive GPS and use that as your speedo. That is what I do.
Jim

Tdi Guy
09-23-2008, 07:33 AM
I have the gps but it would be nice if it was a bit more accurate. I will try them.

Jim-ME
09-23-2008, 07:40 AM
GPS a bit more accurate? Doesn't exist. Please explain why you think a GPS isn't as accurate as a recalibrated speedo. There is nothing more accurate for current speed and distance than a GPS unless you can afford a GPS thatr is real time correctable or on military P-code.
Thanks,
Jim

Andrew IIA
09-23-2008, 07:47 AM
GPS a bit more accurate? Doesn't exist. I think tdi-guy meant that he wanted the speedo to be a little more accurate :rolleyes:. My speedo reads hi in the summer and not-at-all in the winter. A have a small gps which gives me speed and a clock.

Tdi Guy
09-23-2008, 08:04 AM
I think tdi-guy meant that he wanted the speedo to be a little more accurate :rolleyes:. My speedo reads hi in the summer and not-at-all in the winter. A have a small gps which gives me speed and a clock.

Sorry. yeah thats what I meant. I want the speedo to be a little closer to the speed. THen it counts the miles a bit better and so on..

Leslie
09-23-2008, 09:35 AM
You mean, the odometer is supposed to work in these things???

;)

Seriously, mine's originally for the 15" wheels, I've got 7.5x16's on it instead.... but not only is it off, it bounces madly from 0 to 30mph, then stabilizes at about 28 (but I'm really doin' 34 or so by that point....)

Momo
09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Randy, in the event you are an iPhone 3G user:

http://www.sopods.com/speedometer.php

At $1.99, it's the cheapest most accurate speedometer out there.

There are other apps out there too, like top speed and quarter mile calculators, in case you are curious.

Tdi Guy
09-24-2008, 06:05 PM
That is so cool. I don't have an Iphone though.. But am a Mac user...

jp-
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
.. But am a Mac user...

That is so sad.

Here, take my gun.

Terrys
09-25-2008, 05:17 AM
The speedo drive gear ratios are different enough, that you won't be able to get a series speedo any closer than it is now. A Defender speedo is the same OD, if you wanted to swap one in, and other than no idiot lights, it will look almost right. If you want to put some Defender speedo guts in your series speedo, I have a set you can have.

As for using GPS as a speedo, I would have to argue the accuracy question. The slower you are going, and/or the straighter the direction, the more accurate it will be, but the faster you go, and on multicurved roads, the readout is only going to be a point to point average. The speedo function is withing the guts of the GPS unit, not supplied by the satelite. Speedos, however, aren't worth a cr*p at telling you where you are.

Tdi Guy
09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
That is so sad.

Here, take my gun.
I love my Mac. Threw all my PC's in the trash..:thumb-up:

Is it difficult to switch the gears in the speedo? I have had one apart to look inside but that was about it..

Terrys
09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I love my Mac. Threw all my PC's in the trash..:thumb-up:

Is it difficult to switch the gears in the speedo? I have had one apart to look inside but that was about it..

I'm not suggesting disecting the mechanism, just changing the whole guts out.
I don't hate Macs, I just know I can buy 4 PCs for one Mac that Apple will update the week after I bought one. French may be a nice language, but only the French refuse to speak English.