PDA

View Full Version : Which Waxoyl?

Firemanshort
09-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I am looking for some adivce from the RN guys or anyone else who has waxoyl'ed thier Series truck.

I am in the middle of some frame surgery.

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4823

Once I am done, I want to do some rust prevention work. I am thinking something easy and light duty -so I was thinking I would buy one of those aeresol cans of waxoyl from RN and spray her up inside and out when I was all done.

But there are two flavors of cans from RN - one says it is clear and is labeled as Waxoyl and the other appears that it may be black and is labled Hardwax.

What is the difference? Which is the right part for spraying inside the frame rails? Do both / either of these come with little spray tube nozzles (like WD-40) so I can get back into the hard to reach places through those little holes in the chassis?

Finally - it is as easy as it sounds (nothing else is)? Do I just shake the can and spray or is there major surface prep and heating and protective gear and so forth?

Blueboy
09-22-2008, 05:27 PM
yes, I'm also looking into as well.

for some real good general information, click the Waxoyl symbol on RN's homepage - bottom right hand side.

looks like a real good product.

Jaime

greenmeanie
09-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I did the chassis on my 101 a year or two ago and the answer is you need both. The clear stuff is a cavity wax and is softer so that it can get into those nooks and crannies. You want this for the inside of the chassis.
The black stuff is for the exterior surfaces and dries to a much tougher finish. IIRC it took 3 cans for a 101 chassis.

One of its serious benefits is if you own an ex MOD truck. These were undercoated with some weird goop that was great for the squaddies in the BOAR but 30 years later has started to crack and peel. It's infuriatingly difficult to remove and it does trap water against the steel so has to be treated. The wax oil will flow into all the imperfections sealing it nicely.

I just pressure washed the chassis thoroughly to remove any loose pieces of undercoat and had at it.

If you can get a can (non aerosol) of the clear stuff and use one of those pressurised sprayers for weeds to apply it. You'll need to heat it in a bucket of warm water or leave it in the Phoenix sun to make it liquefy. After application don't park it on your nice expensive driveway as some tends to dribble back out for a week or so.

The fumes and the knowledge that your chassis is protected will keep a smile on your face for a couple of weeks.

An alternate product is provided by Dinitrol but you can spend many happy evenings figuring out the application for the different versions.
Cheers
Gregor

Jim-ME
09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
A friend and I did his son's Jeep frame last summer. First we pressure washed the frame. We then pounded on it with a hammer to get the large scale rust off. We also blew the loose rust out of the frame with an air hose. Two coats of Gempler's Rust Preventative was then sprayed inside and out on the frame followed by clear Waxol inside the frame and hard Wayol outside. After a NE winter it looks the same as it did the day we did it. He ended up buying the application tools which were wonderful and I believe a gallon of each type were applied. I'm planning on doing my Rover next summer if all goes well and plan to add door frames and door pillars to the list.
Jim

TSR53
09-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Professional Waxoyl 120-4 clear for interior cavities

Professional Hardwax for exterior frame

Waxoyl videos here >>
http://www.roversnorth.com/waxoyl/waxoyl-faqs-tech-tips.html

We used my 1995 Audi S6 for the application and filming. This is my wifes daily driver that has 192,000 miles on it. One winter and this summer later it still looks as good as the day the Waxoyl was applied.
GEVOtUjUytM

Firemanshort
09-23-2008, 09:24 AM
One can of each flavor ordered. I actually called up and spoke to the YouTube WaxOyl Movie Star himself!!

I will post photos when I get to that point in the project.

Firemanshort
09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
The package arrived the other day. Now I need to wait until I get everything put together to spray it all down.