PDA

View Full Version : Clonky Gearbox (US Version)

Apis Mellifera
09-22-2008, 06:42 PM
I posted this over on OLLR and didn't get much response so...

Whenever I shift my '73 SIII 88, as soon as the clutch disengages (pedal pushed in), there is a clunk in the gearbox. When the pedal is released, there is another clunk. This can be felt in the pedal and gear lever. Last weekend I opened the TC while changing the oil in the main box, overdrive, and TC. The green arrow points to a gear which can be wiggled quite a bit. Grabbing the two prop shafts, they can be moved in opposite directions quite a bit (TC in N) before catching. My questions: How much slop is normal in the wonky gear? Is the prop shaft movement described normal? What's the likely cause (specific part) that's worn? What suffix gearbox do I have and how do I tell/confirm?

Many Thanks

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00887.jpg

rovers2a
09-22-2008, 07:49 PM
could be main shaft bearings? ... overdrives put preasure on them when engaged, hence the whinning...

jp-
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
The fact that this happens when the pedal is pushed in leads me to believe that it could be something to do with the clutch release fork, linkage, or throw out bearing assembly. Do you have much slop in your linkage going into the bellhousing?

Make sure that your slave cylinder and bracket are securely mounted.

Also, that gear in the photo can have a good deal of play, as it must move back and forth.

daveb
09-23-2008, 07:43 AM
---EDIT: I guess if you are saying you can ROTATE the front and rear shafts in opposite directions with the tbox in neutral, that would be considered normal. In my message I am referring to being able to move the output shaft up and down and side to side.----

guess I can chime in here. I noticed some movement in my rear prop this weekend and spent the better part of the day pulling the handbrake backplate (left the linkage and shoes attached, just let it hang in place) and the speedo drive housing. then pulled a few shims per the FM and replaced everything. Now there is no more slop. The gear should not have anything more then just perceptible free movement radially on the shaft. but it sounds like your problem is wear/slop in the front and rear output shaft taper bearings. removing the shims should eliminate that.

Save the shims! They are NLA. And start saving for a rebuild or replacement as your has clearly got low on oil hence the slop. (only a cup or two came out of mine btw :( )

Of course befroe doing ANY of this, pull the propshafts off the output shaft drive flanges front and back and confirm that it is the sahft moving and not the drive flanges themsleves rocking on the shaft. Then pull the flanges and see how much movement is in the shaft itself.

IMO if it was the clutch you would have hard engagement OR disengagement but not both. But I've been wrong before. In any event it sounds like the box itself needs attention.

I posted this over on OLLR and didn't get much response so...

Whenever I shift my '73 SIII 88, as soon as the clutch disengages (pedal pushed in), there is a clunk in the gearbox. When the pedal is released, there is another clunk. This can be felt in the pedal and gear lever. Last weekend I opened the TC while changing the oil in the main box, overdrive, and TC. The green arrow points to a gear which can be wiggled quite a bit. Grabbing the two prop shafts, they can be moved in opposite directions quite a bit (TC in N) before catching. My questions: How much slop is normal in the wonky gear? Is the prop shaft movement described normal? What's the likely cause (specific part) that's worn? What suffix gearbox do I have and how do I tell/confirm?

Many Thanks

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00887.jpg

I Leak Oil
09-23-2008, 11:21 AM
The gear you're pointing to is the slider that engages 4wd low range. This gear will have some movement to it but can't tell by looking at a picture if yours has too much or not. The front and rear shafts are connected by the locking dog in the front output section of the transfer case and this connection is generally sloppy. What you're describing could be any number of things. Loose main shaft nut, worn itermediate gear bearings, loose output flange nuts, bad U-Joint, binding parking brake, loose motor or tranny mount..... Before you go opening the gear box check all the external stuff first. If there is no runout or end float in the output flanges then chances are your bearings are fine.
Jason T.

Apis Mellifera
09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys.

Things I've checked:
engine/gb mounts - OK
UJs - OK
E-brake - OK

The questionable gear slides (when shifted), rotates (a little when in N), AND wobbles (like an unbalanced ceiling fan). The Prop shafts rotate only; maybe a 1/4 turn in opposite directions. No lateral movement.

I feel like the problem is inside the main gb ie input shaft related. No metal came out when I drained the fluids, but who know the abuse the PO gave this thing. I am in the market for another drivetrain (engine, gb, tc, axles) just to have as backups. If anyone has rebuildables for sale (near WV) LMK.