PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil weight

gassner
09-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I am using 10-40 right now. I am going to do a oil change soon and was wondering what weight to use. It is for a 2.25 liter gas engine and it does burn a little oil and foul plugs once in a while. I was thinking about using 30w but am a little worried about getting it to start in colder weather. The reason that I am asking is because a have a 1977 BMW 320i that the prior owner had been using 10w-30 and it would burn a quart of oil every 200 miles, the book called for 20w50. I put 20w50 in it and almost all oil consumption has stopped.

greenmeanie
09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Depending on the year of the manual you read it will call for 10W40 or 20W50. The engine is still the same so it comes down to personal preference.

I think most people base it on their climate. I run 20W50 but I'm in the desert southwest where clouds cause panic let alone freezing temperatures and precipitation. Those in colder climes seem to prefer the thinner stuff for starting.

Following the maintenance schedule and changing the oil regularly is more important than the oil weight arguement. Use what suits you.

Gregor