PDA

View Full Version : Seat upgrade options for ex-MOD

SeriesShorty
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Just got myself a lovely little 66 IIa 88" ex-MOD and been browsing around at all these great seat upgrade ideas. However, with fuel tanks under both seats I don't see how having some junk yard seats an option since there is the cover that has to be lifted up from the seat box (tilts open to the rear). And I haven't found any threads where ex-MOD's were done. Even with seats that fold forward (like in a Jeep seat) I don't see how it would work, I don't think they would tip forward enough to be able to lift the cover on the seat box to get to the tank.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard on it. I am thinking if I modded the fuel tank cover so that it opens from the back and flips foward???

Has anyone been able to figure out a feasible seat upgrade when ya got tanks under both seats?

p.s. Hi, nice to meet you all!

Shorty

Momo
09-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not up on the MoD trucks like some are, but if I remember right, the fuel filler cap is set on a shallow neck on the top of the gas tank, and you lift up the seat squab and seatbox panel to access it, right?

If that's how it's built, you could easily just buy some Exmoor Trim seats http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/and be done with it, since the seat squabs are removable just like the originals.
Same goes for Defender seats but you'll need the seat frames too. And Defender seats are hard to find for a good price.

Another option is to install a civilian type fuel tank with the filler neck behind the seat, coming up through a hole in the tub edge where it meets the seatbox. Then install the factory type fuel cap and galvanized spout neck on the body just behind the door. That would give you the ability to fill the tank from the outside like a sane person would.

I would include links the the RN catalog pages showing these parts, but it's late and frankly I'm lazy right now.

leafsprung
09-26-2008, 01:38 AM
There are some conversion vans with lift up seat bottoms, otherwise you are stuck with series or defender items unless you fit the external fill tanks (which are nice anyway)

-Ike

Tim Smith
09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
If you find the right seats, you could separate the backs from the bottoms and mount the backs to the hinges of the seat frame like the original series seats do. Then you pretty much just need to make a bracket of sorts that will keep your bottom cushion from sliding out.

I got very *very* close to mounting a set of electric/motorized Rangie Classic seats like this until I realized that the seat backs were too thick between the rear bulkhead and the drivers wheel. Didn't want to pull out the rear bulkhead at the time because air portables (my truck) really need the side support that it provides.

Before eying up new seats at the junk yard, take note of the seat back and bottom seat cushion thicknesses of your current seats and realize what the differences in seating arrangement will mean with your replacements. I don't think you can find modern seats that are as thin as series seats are.

scatterling
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I've got a 109" exMOD - just got the Trakkers seats as it seemed the most practical way to go so I still have access to the tanks under the seats. My 2 cents..

SeriesShorty
09-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I've got a 109" exMOD - just got the Trakkers seats as it seemed the most practical way to go so I still have access to the tanks under the seats. My 2 cents..

Found the Trakkers you're talking about. They are super nice and exactly what I am looking for. Ouch on the price tag though! :eek: Maybe it's time to break out the old sewing machine and at least get the stockers recovered and pretend that can make me happy for a while.

Besides, I've got some bigger fish to fry now and will be finding myself under the hood for a while instead of enjoying the interior "creature comforts" if you can call a Series "comfortable". ha

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll rethink this when I get my new friend running proper.

Shorty