PDA

View Full Version : Ignition issues

Mountain132
09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Recently 1970 SIIA wouldn't start out of the blue. Only clicking when key is turned. Took battery to get tested and charged, started up fine. Next day same issue.

Couldn't even start with hand crank.

Tried the vehicle rocking pump gas approach which enables start after a few attempts and has been working.

Is this issue related to a specific component that needs serviced or replaced or could it be several factors in the entire ignition sequence.

Thanks

Daurie
09-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Are you saying you can't turn the engine over with the hand crank or it will turn and just will not start? If all you're getting is a faint click then I would suspect the starter solenoid. Mine will start pretty easily with the hand crank but it's tuned well and has good compression. I would imagine the ease of starting it with the hand crank depends greatly on the condition/tune of the engine.

Mountain132
09-27-2008, 10:14 PM
nothing happens with the hand crank.

are you saying the issue is the solenoid or both the solenoid and starter?

Daurie
09-28-2008, 09:59 AM
To test the starter you can jump between the to large wires connected to the solenoid by crossing them with a screwdriver. Be aware it will spark and make sure you're in neutral with parking brake on JIC. If the starter turns over the engine then the solenoid would be at fault. Just make sure the clicking is coming from the solenoid.. also would be advisable to make sure that you get 12V to the solenoid coil from the starter switch when you turn the switch to start (small wire).

Mountain132
09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
thanks, i'll give it a try when i get a helper

jp-
09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Clicking on start means that the battery is bad/low, or that the battery cables/grounding cables have poor connections, or as Daurie states that the solenoid is bad.

singingcamel
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Gotta check the connections on the battery and the connections between the selenoid and the starter, clen them all

Tim Smith
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Gotta check the connections on the battery
Indeed! That includes the connection from the terminal connectors to the battery main leads. I little jiggle usually makes them wake up again, only to leave you guessing later on.

Mountain132
09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
one of the leads to the battery post was cracked for weeks but gave no problem. When the issue came about I immediatley replaced the connection but same clicking. I'll undo and clean all the connections.

Are Solenoids known to just go bad ?

Headlights no longer come on now out of the blue

side lights are fine though

I'm thinking of just replacing all the wiring harnesses in the future, has anyone done this?

Tim Smith
09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
one of the leads to the battery post was cracked for weeks but gave no problem. When the issue came about I immediatley replaced the connection but same clicking. I'll undo and clean all the connections.

Are Solenoids known to just go bad ?

Headlights no longer come on now out of the blue

side lights are fine though

I'm thinking of just replacing all the wiring harnesses in the future, has anyone done this?
Sounds like a ground. Forget the harness till you find the fault.

Electrical makes folks wig out but usually it's the easy fix.