PDA

View Full Version : Lime Rock Swan Song?

Luke
09-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Well we made it to Lime Rock and had a great time camping and watching the racing. During the day we came back to camp to find an 88" SIII parked next to us, owned by a wonderful chap called Doug from Newtown. Long chat ensued as always and it turns out he's also restoring a 66 IIA 88" that was his Dad's.

He offered to take a look at my rotten crossmember, which was the point at which we discovered that the gas tank of my 109 had fallen out… Not completely, obviously, but the support points on the rear cross member had both given way (probably aided by my brimming it to get to Lime Rock in the first place) and the only thing holding it in place was the rear diff stopping it from falling. Despite being grateful to find out where the smell of petrol had been coming from (dripping out of the tank near the diff) this was something of a bummer. Thankfully Doug had a ratchet strap in the back of his Land Rover and we found some solid metal further up the chassis to secure the tank to. He was then kind enough to follow me home to the Four Corners, keeping an eye on it and giving me updates on the cellphone. We made it back to Bethel OK but in a very despondant frame of mind.

So it's pretty clear she's reached the end of the road on this chassis. I'm still debating what to do next as I don't have a workshop per se and don't have $4K+ for a galv chassis and everything else I'm going to need. I actually went as far as asking Doug if he'd be able to do anything with it if I gave it to him, and the offer is still open, but I think he's already committed to his IIA project and I wasn't bargaining on quite how distraught my kids would be at the thought that the family pet might have to be put down…

Feeling a little more positive this morning though so I'm investigating the options again with an open mind. In my optimistic way I'm halfway to convincing myself that a chassis swap is do-able on the driveway and that the money fairies may yet sprinkle cash at an opportune moment. I might try to get her into the garage to stave off any further rot and deterioration while I work out the logistics but maybe she'll ride again under my ownership after all. Wish me luck folks.

Bloody Land Rovers… Gotta love them. Gotta have one.

Cheers
Luke

T Square
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
good luck and keep that thing in the family!

galen216
09-29-2008, 08:22 AM
You need to talk to scatterling! http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/showthread.php?p=10632#post10632

He has a much cheaper civilian frame he wants to get rid of for a military chassis. The civy frame is brand new from the UK but not galvanized.

Leslie
09-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Is it a 3-door or a 5-door? http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4847

Luke
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Aarrggh... Thanks for the idea - $1500 is far more like it - but it's a 2.6 5-door. You know, the one where all the bits are twice the price... :o

Leslie
09-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Do you weld? One can be altered to convert it from one to the other.... sure, if buying new, get the right one, but, a 109 is a 109.... how many people take a RRC chassis and put it under a Series? How many turn a 90 into a 110 or a 130?

Luke
09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
No welding so far but I think I'll probably need to learn some time very soon. I'm handy enough - I did the engine swap myself a few years back and have replaced more bits on her than I can remember. But so far no serious bodywork or chassis.

greenmeanie
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
If you can figure out shipping I know of a complete military chassis with axles that has been converted by Timm Cooper to go under a 6 cyl station wagon. It's on the west coast though.

I'd look at shipping using a car hauler or going with something like Iship.

Tim Smith
09-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Luke,
If you can hold off a few months, we can do a frame swap at the new digs. Oh yeah, I also have a 109 5 door frame for you too. Not that I'd pressure you into a decision or anything but mine is still up for $1500 (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/5DoorFrame#). :D

Of course if you help me swap this frame under PigsFly, then you can have the old frame PigsFly is on for free. If memory serves, it's still in good nick but has a funky I-beam welded in for a front bumper... Maybe we can chop and swap?

Either way, even if you don't want any of my bits, I'm sure we could take on a frame swap or at least a weld repair.

Luke
09-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Tim!

Hmmmm!!!! I thought that spare frame was three-door. That sounds very promising. Don't tell me it's also a sixpotter too...? That would be too perfect.

Which one is PigsFly?? Wasn't that where this frame was going? You have soooo many Land Rovers I'm afraid I can't keep up. For anyone out there who hasn't been to Tim's place, every barn and outbuilding you open seems to contain a Land Rover in some state or other of repair. Wonderful place. :thumb-up:

I have to admit I've also been contemplating another thought - some sort of part ex deal for an 88. I've done 109s and 110s but never a shorty and it seems like a lot of people this side of the pond - with more resources than I do - hanker after a 109 instead. My kids would both ride in the front of an 88 if I had a bulkhead to mount a three point harness to for the middle seat. It would also fit in my garage. I could take the top off in the summer. And my wife never rides in it anyway, unless she's absolutely forced to ... :p

Cheers
Luke