PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Seals: Anyone in Eastern, NC?

NC Rover
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM
So the rover needs to have a few items replaced....seals where the drive shaft goes into the front and rear pumpkin, and ebrake drum seal ...can't remember the technical term.

I just do not have the equipment to do the work right now and looking for someone in the general area that could do the job or work with me. Willing to drive a few hours if need be.

I just replaced the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket. Just trying to go through and replace a lot of things since the rover sat out in the weather (in the mountains) for 3 years without being moved before i bought it. So a lot of misc items went bad over the back to back winters/summers.

msggunny
09-30-2008, 02:45 PM
So the rover needs to have a few items replaced....seals where the drive shaft goes into the front and rear pumpkin, and ebrake drum seal ...can't remember the technical term.

I just do not have the equipment to do the work right now and looking for someone in the general area that could do the job or work with me. Willing to drive a few hours if need be.

I just replaced the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket. Just trying to go through and replace a lot of things since the rover sat out in the weather (in the mountains) for 3 years without being moved before i bought it. So a lot of misc items went bad over the back to back winters/summers.

What ever you do DO NOT go to Tidewater.

There is a place near by, but since i am in the middle of the Indian Ocean right now i dont have access to my info on it.

Get up with Ron Suriano at Cape Fear Land Rovers, ask for him by name, and explain the situation. Tell him you would rather not have the dealership do it.

He is a great guy and tell him i said hi.

Not to steal anyones thunder here, but there are a few guys from east NC on Dweb who can point you in the right direction. It seems that the majority of the people here are from the NE part of the country. Not that its a bad thing to be from there :D

Thanks!

jimsshuman
09-30-2008, 04:44 PM
What ever you do DO NOT go to Tidewater.

i second that.

unfortunately, i'm no good for help right now either. hopefully shop will be done sometime this year or next, and then can finally start doing some work.
mw

NC Rover
10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Ok so definitly no tidewater. Roger that. How are things in the middle of the Indian Ocean?

I'll ask for Ron Suriano. I stopped by the dealership on day and the people who were working knew nothing of series rovers.....they weren't even interested in it...and usually people who deal with rovers love to check out old rovers. Wierd. Anyway I'll ask for Ron and see what he has to say.

Thanks again!

Les Parker
10-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Not knowing the local geography, but how about Sean Jones at Blueridge Rover Works in Asheville? Tel # 828-274.2458

He's great on all things Landrover

msggunny
10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok so definitly no tidewater. Roger that. How are things in the middle of the Indian Ocean?

I'll ask for Ron Suriano. I stopped by the dealership on day and the people who were working knew nothing of series rovers.....they weren't even interested in it...and usually people who deal with rovers love to check out old rovers. Wierd. Anyway I'll ask for Ron and see what he has to say.

Thanks again!

Ron seems to be the only "true" enthusist there. the rest are just car salesmen.

Ron bitches at me when ever i drive the Disco down there and not the SIII.

The Indian Ocean is boring right now, just floating around....

Take care!

Terrys
10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Not knowing the local geography....
Ok, you've been here long enough, grab your Michelin.
If he said he was halfway between Matlock and Buxton, you'd know exactly where he was.

Leslie
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, you've been here long enough, grab your Michelin.
If he said he was halfway between Matlock and Buxton, you'd know exactly where he was.

Hey! That's the Peak District!

(What was bad, I was thinkin', since NC was the topic, halfway between Buxton and Havelock, which is like, Cedar Island.....)

Terrys
10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey! That's the Peak District!

Damn straight ! Now I know there are some 'real ale' drinkers amongst us.
The Manifold is my fishing spot, up to the Isaac Walton for a pint, then off to Ashbourne for another with Matt Savage, talk Landy and drink more Ale

Les Parker
10-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Maybe if it was half way between Wyboston and Tattershall, hmm nearly taste the Batemans XXX.

:cheers:

Leslie
10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I've been known to have a pint or three, lol..... ;)

Alas, I've not had the pleasure of getting 'cross the Atlantic, yet...

My dear buddy David used to get over there annually, if not more often.... our friend Carol, her farm was oustide of Matlock in Tansley, if I correctly remember. (She worked for Paddocks once upon a time....)

North of Nottingham, near Blidworth and Oxton, is where my family was originally from, left there in the late 1600's / early 1700's, for the Chesapeake....

G.G. Sprock
10-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Okay, out of curiousity, what is wrong with Tidewater? Admittedly, I do all my own work... hmmm, should I open a Rover shop?

msggunny
10-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Okay, out of curiousity, what is wrong with Tidewater? Admittedly, I do all my own work... hmmm, should I open a Rover shop?

Use the search function here, at LRO, and DWeb. I have never seen anything good writen about the guy.

I personally have delt with the guy.

Something about someone promising me that they would make good on a deal and not coming through on it makes me not want to ever deal with them again nor will i ever put in a good word for them either.

That being said, i wont slander the guy either. But thats just the way i roll.

Search around the forums for Tidewater and see what you find....

jimsshuman
10-05-2008, 10:44 AM
i met and talked rovers with the guys former business partner. seemed like a nice enough guy and he suggested i call tidewater and attempt to procure a motor from him. so i called him up and asked availability and prices. he wanted to know about the vehicle and then basically told me it would never work, i was an idiot, blah blah blah, etc etc.
my plans might not work out, but if they do, i will park it in front of his shop and ask him if he remembers talking to me.
my .02$.

NC Rover
10-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Back to the topic....so apart from contacting Ron Sauro at the Cape Fear rover dlrshp....does anyone have any recommendations on other people in the southeast?

jimsshuman
01-08-2009, 10:45 PM
sorry to bring up old dirt, but i was browsing ebay and tidewater is selling a truck, so i decided to have a look-a-see at all his old feedback. pretty interesting stuff there if you still need reason not to deal with him, have a look. keep going on past the last 12 months tho. the more you check the more you find. anyway.............

NC Rover
01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
sorry to bring up old dirt, but i was browsing ebay and tidewater is selling a truck, so i decided to have a look-a-see at all his old feedback. pretty interesting stuff there if you still need reason not to deal with him, have a look. keep going on past the last 12 months tho. the more you check the more you find. anyway.............

Can you post a link?

jimsshuman
01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
here's the truck (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Land-Rover-Hybrid-series-defender-Series-Land-Rover-Series-Defender-88-90-Diesel-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem200295484437QQitemZ200295484437QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5 fTrucks) he's selling

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Land-Rover-Hybrid-series-defender-Series-Land-Rover-Series-Defender-88-90-Diesel-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem200295484437QQitemZ200295484437QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5 fTrucks

here's his feedback (http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=blue3442&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:3:us)

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=blue3442&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:3:us

if url doesn't work, his seller name is blue3442. look him up then scroll to bottom of page and set it for 200 listings per page and just scroll thru a few pages.