PDA

View Full Version : yellow knob issue

dansalisbury72
09-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I have watched the Land Rover instructional videos on You Tube, and am now wondering if it is normal that the yellow knob does not pop back up when the transfer case knob (red one) is pulled all the way back. To get mine to 'pop' back up (it actually does not pop up at all) I need to pull the red knob back slightly and pull the yellow knob up, then push the red knob all the way forward to 'lock' the yellow knob up.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks...

Dan in NC

giorgio
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
My 1973 Series III is that way, missing spring, I think. My 1968 Series IIA works perfectly, as described.

dansalisbury72
09-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Rovers North guys - do you sell that spring? Apparently mine is missing.

thanks...

Dan in NC

Rineheitzgabot
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
If I remember correctly, with the floor removed, the yellow knob won't pop up either. I do not remember any details, but the above might suggest that it just needs installed correctly(the levers that actuate the yellow knob). In other words, you might not be missing any parts, you may just need to hook it up.

SafeAirOne
09-30-2008, 09:04 PM

I'm not an RN guy, but a quick look on page 29 of their ONLINE Series/Defender Catalog confirms that they sell this. See item #22 You'll likely also need the spring base, which is just a little bit of flared tubing to prevent the spring from slipping through the hole in the shifter hump. Although the drawing highlights more than just the spring base when you click on it, it should be item #23.

This is the page: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-54-levers-linkage.aspx

This is the Online catalog for almost every part that RN sells for the series and defender:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-10-land-rover-series-ii-iia-iii.aspx

If I remember correctly, with the floor removed, the yellow knob won't pop up either.

The above spring pushes against the shifter hump section of flooring. With the shifter hump removed the yellow knob will not pop up.

1961 109 WAGON
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
mine did the same thing. the rod is threaded with a nut on it, there is a measurement lenth or pre-load on the spring before it will pop back up. turn the nut down alittle to give it more tension.

adkrover
10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Safearie has it right. When I purchased my truck, the PO had all of the parts but somehow managed to install the bottom flared piece BELOW the floor panel and it was constantly dropping into gear. You need the spring to go under the knob and the flared bit to go between the spring and the floor pan. Otherwise, the spring will drop into the floor. Once I put the parts together in the correct order, everything was fine.

dansalisbury72
10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
great, thanks for all the info.

Dan

TSR53
10-02-2008, 07:55 PM

thanks...

Dan in NC

Hi Dan,

The correct updated Series II, IIA, III transmission shift linkage page is located here >>
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-54-levers-linkage.aspx

#22 on the illustration. I'm working on updating all the images, for easier reading. [edit...] Everything on the website has been reorganized and re-designed to help Land Rover owners find the right parts, HUGE work in progress.