PDA

View Full Version : Front exhaust tips & tricks to install?

SeriesShorty
10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Searching I found that it's not necessary to jack up the truck to get the front exhaust pipe in. That's all I found. LOL

So how the heck do ya get the darn thing in there??? I can't the darn thing routed without bumping into something on either end I try to route first.

Maybe I just haven't had my saturday morning iced coffee yet? Sounds like a good time to get one while I hear back from the crew.

:)

Leslie
10-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Put it on while the rest of the body is still off? That's how I did it.... :D

Seriously, tho'.... the way the Rover exhaust is, A) make sure you're working with a piece at a time, instead of the whole exhaust at once (unless the body is off! ;) ), and B) for the frontpiece, I would come at it from the middle of the vehicle underneath, and slide it forward, you should be able to wiggle it enough to thread it through, then rotate/flip it to get it up to the bottom of the manifold.

Good luck!

Daurie
10-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I too had lots of trouble getting the front section in even with the floor and seat base out!! I have NRP exhaust. My main problem re-installing it (had to remove trans so exhaust had to come out) was getting it slid up onto the manifold studs and onto the rear section. I would probably end up removing the rear section and working from the front back upon installation if I had to do it over. I would also take a look at using bolts on the exhaust manifold flange as opposed to studs and nuts. It may not wind up being easier but I'd take it into consideration as I had a hell of a time getting it all lined up and slid up onto those studs. Maybe only replace one or two with bolts.. :confused: Patience finally paid off. I think that was the problem to begin with!!

Good luck, I feel your pain!

BackInA88
10-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I just did a new exhaust on mine and found that if I jacked the left front up it would wiggle in pretty easy. I put it over the rear cross member first and than rotated into position.

SeriesShorty
10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
After spending all morning I am so irritated with the pipe that I'm getting ready to cut it in half to get it all and let the muffler shop on the corner weld it back together!

On a good note, I absolutely LOVE my little local machine shop! My manifolds are so friggin beautiful now that I could hug them.

Speaking of, is it better to mount the intake and exhaust as an assembly, or mount the exhaust manifold first then slap the intake on top of it?

Moose
10-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I had the front of my 88 up on ramps and still had to jack the rear end way up to get the front pipe to wiggle into place. Not fun at all.

Brett

Apis Mellifera
10-04-2008, 02:52 PM
What a job! I jacked the side up as far as I could and eventually it went in. Lots of wiggling. Bolt the manifolds together first or don't tighten the exhaust down before fitting the intake. I think there's a locating dowel in the head for the intake that will foul if the exhaust is fitted first.

ArlowCT
10-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Just remember the down pipe goes UNDER the first cross member and OVER the second.... Don't ask me how I know this.... but the lase one I did took longer that it should have :(.

Leslie
10-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Speaking of, is it better to mount the intake and exhaust as an assembly, or mount the exhaust manifold first then slap the intake on top of it?

I've always had the exhaust/intake/carb together as a unit, then put it all in together.