PDA

View Full Version : A basic maintenance question regarding Series III

ctrover79
10-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Would someone please tell me where you check gearbox oil and transfer case oil levels? Are there dipsticks?

Thanks,
Dave

ArlowCT
10-04-2008, 06:55 PM
The gearbox level is checked by the fill plug on the left (from the back of the truck) side of the transmission. It should be a square head. The transfer box has the same type of plug to the left of the handbrake drum on the back of the box. Fill both with gear oil until it runs out of the hole and she if full. Having some type of hand pump helps to get the oil in without too much hassle. I found a good one at the local auto store it's a heavy duty fluid transfer syringe and will take about 3/4 of a bottle at a time. Some people like the pumps that screw on the bottles better.

When they stop leaking it's time to refill as it's a sure sign they are out ;).

Leslie
10-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I started with one of the pumps that screws onto the bottle, but I've thrown it aside and gone to one of the large syringe types, too.....

ctrover79
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Arlow and Leslie. I was able to locate the plug and will need some "earl" in the transmission. I haven't checked the transfer case yet. Any suggestions on a good oil to use? Thanks in advance.

Leslie
10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks Arlow and Leslie. I was able to locate the plug and will need some "earl" in the transmission. I haven't checked the transfer case yet. Any suggestions on a good oil to use? Thanks in advance.

Something bought in bulk: this is a Series, right? It'll be on the driveway soon enough.... ;)

Seriously, though, I use 85w90-wt by the 5-gal jug from Tractor Supply..... Also, in addition to the transmission and transfer case, you also have both front and rear diffs, and the front swivel ball housings, too, that all use 90wt. And the steering box, and the steering relay......

usadventureracing
10-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Can the 85w90-wt be used in all those places for the IIa also. I am new to this so thank you for the help.

greenmeanie
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
The SIIA and SIII have the same oily bits with a minor exception being the synchros in the gearbox. What works for one is fine for the other.

Oh and it is not the British Navy - it is the Royal Navy. It's a subtle difference to do with flags I believe.

ctrover79
10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks again for the info. I'll get a big ol' jug and fill everything up.
CTR

ArlowCT
10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Ctrover, do you live in Ct? I'm up in the stafford area would love to see your truck if you are close.

dansalisbury72
10-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I needed to check fluids on my truck (a Series IIA) now that it has been on the road for a month, so I went to a couple different auto stores (didn't make it to a tractor supply store though), and neither of them heard of 85w90 gear oil. All I found was either 80w90 or 85w140. I also checked a Series II/IIA book that came with my truck, which listed Esso brand GX 85w140 as one of the recommended gear oils, so I picked up a couple bottles of Valvoline 85w140. I guess my question is whether or not 85w140 is a good choice for the transfer case, front and rear differentials, and main gear box, or is the recommendation from several messages above (85w90) the better choice?

By the way, lesson learned - I need to check fluids MUCH more often than once a month, it was low all the way around.

thanks...

Dan in NC