PDA

View Full Version : Electrical SNAFU, I shorted something... bit of help?

silly_me
10-04-2008, 05:13 PM
OK, '97 series I Discovery.

I've abridge my issue below, but here is where I am now:

By unplugging the left hand (driver's side for me) tail light assembly I stopped the fuse from blowing and now all other lights work.

Does this mean that my tail light assembly is bad or is the plug bad? By placing the test light to the wire connectors on the plug I get a light on everything but the red/yellow wire. Does this mean anything to you folks that may be savvy with electrics? Or should I just submit my order to rover's north for the assembly? TIA

The brake switch gave up the ghost at the grocers a few weeks back. To just get the rig out of park I used a handy trick a chap from discoweb advised (what happened to that site?) and used a 10A fuse to jump the rear window defrost to the rear top brake light. Turned the truck on and powered the defrost which allowed the solenoid to back out of the selector and for me to shift out of park.

It worked, but it blew the 10A fuse I used as the jumper and the 15A fuse in the fuse box.

Fast forward to today. Finally got a new switch and installed it. Start the truck (after charging the battery) press teh brake pedal and pop goes the fuse.

The fuse only blows when the brake switch is activated.

silly_me
10-05-2008, 11:07 AM
OK, I've updated and simplified my query above. I appreciate any insight. At least now I can drive the rig without the battery draining and 2/3rds of my lights working :D