PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat Options on an 88

ShootingCar
10-07-2008, 06:47 AM
I have a Series IIa 88 that has a forward facing rear seat that essentially just sits on the floor. I am putting a new four post roll bar in the back with seat belt mounting plates welded to it for the front seats and rear seat. I already have three point retractable shoulder/lap belts for the front seats. My question is: has anybody tried the forward facing jump seats from DAP? They look like they would be very functional and higher seating but they wouldn't be mounted to the frame as they just attached to the corners or the wheel wells.

Thanks,
Jeff

DAP link http://www.dap-inc.com/acc/app/lr/lr_bar-guard-int-ext.shtml

Eric W S
10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Sat in a set of those in a Defender. Wasn't impressed. PITA getting in and out of them and I was never confident that the seats wouldn't rip straight out of the tub. I can only imagine what they would do to the tub over the long term. IMO your better off with the side facing seats and you'll probably save a good deal of money in the process. $400 for 2 seats? If you want to spend that kind of cash, buy nice Defender seats for the front first.

It's an 88. I took my bench seats out and threw them in the trash. I consider the truck a two seater with a large area in the back for my dog.

chester rides again
10-07-2008, 08:00 PM
why not consider a rear jeep seat? you could put a tuffy storage box in and then mount the jeep seat on top. it would be pretty easy to remove if you needed the space.

ShootingCar
10-07-2008, 09:59 PM
yes, I am between ideas on my rover, here as I am trying to have the flexibility to go from a hard top shooting car for my Gordon Setter and Springer Spaniel and a truck vault type of arrangement for my double barrels for the fall to a four person covertible in the summer. I have a forward facing rear seat and will just stick with it for now. I have looked at the tuffy boxes and like the idea of the jeep seat on top of it. But I agree, the DAP jump seats don't sound that great for the $500 or so.

Thanks,
Jeff