PDA

View Full Version : Series III Dash/Map Lamp

crankin
10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Did the SIII's come with some type of dash/map lamp (other then the overhead) or are we left in the dark?

If so, where was it located at? Does anyone have a picture of one?

carl k
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
The only other lamp was fitted to the North American trucks, and that was a tiny light under a black plastic hood, to illuminate the four switches and the heater controls that are next to the gauges. It's right on the corner of the dash, you can sort of see it in this picture:
http://siddall.info/lr/lr-cab-left.jpg

It's not bright enough to read a map by, though.

Carl K.

greenmeanie
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
There is an MOD accessory to add a maplite to the dash. It plugs into the power sockets and sits on a long stalk. Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to tell you where to get one. MY bet is if the usual suspects here don't have one try PA Blanchard in the UK.

Leslie
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
My Series has a map light on the dash (the bloomin' thing even is a Whitworth thread for the nut on the back!)..... but I can't figure out what the dang bulb size is..... I'd been meaning to post up a pic of it and ask..... so, thanks for inspirin' me! :thumb-up:

It's got these click-knuckles on it, one knuckle goes left right, the other is up/down.... it's wired to an on/off Lucas switch on the accessory panel just above it. Never seen another like it.

Anyone have a clue what kind of bulb it would take????

KevinNY
10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I spy, A galvanized bulkhead.

Leslie
10-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Aye, that you do...... ;)

Apis Mellifera
10-08-2008, 07:50 AM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00928.jpg

crankin
10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Wow, Apis, That is wonderful! That has certainly given me something to look for.

Leslie
10-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Carl and Apis,

That's an interesting light.... mine doesn't have such.

jp-
10-08-2008, 08:20 AM
My NADA came standard with a map light built into the cigarette lighter. Works like a charm.

Leslie
10-09-2008, 12:25 PM
jp....

Not plugged into the cigarette lighter, but built into it? So, you can still use the cigarette lighter, too??

Les,

Ever seen one like mine before ? (see pic above) Any clue about a bulb for it?

jp-
10-09-2008, 01:04 PM
jp....

Not plugged into the cigarette lighter, but built into it? So, you can still use the cigarette lighter, too??

Les,

Yes, the cigarette lighter functions like a standard one, in that you push it in to heat up. However, this one has an additional slide switch on the sides that activate the map light. I'm sure it is a factory item. The cigarette socket has the black vinyl covered metal like all the other dash plates of the NADA's. I'll try to get a photo of it.

Les Parker
10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Leslie,

I think I may have one of those lamps in the lower drawer.
$25.00 for a rumage?

:D

crankin
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Leslie,

I think I may have one of those lamps in the lower drawer.
$25.00 for a rumage?

:D

Oh man! Les, I am calling you!

Les Parker
10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
** SOLD **

Thanks for the call, now on its way to TN.

:thumb-up:

Blueboy
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll try to get a photo of it.

I would really like to see a pic of this.

Jaime

crankin
10-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Leslie,
I have seen one like yours on a Triumph Spitfire, it was an option.
Here is a picture of one of a '75 Spitfire's brochure...
http://triumphspitfire.nl/brochurepics/spit75_9.jpg

Not saying that they are unique to only Triumph's and someone just put yours on...a lot of vehicles use the same Lucas parts. For example, I've seen the amber, red, and clear indicator lamps that some series use on Lotus Elan's, Cobra's and on the Austin Healey 3000's.

But to answer your question about the bulb...
I just bought the lamp Les was talking about. So, hopefully two heads can be better then one.

Leslie
10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Cool all around! Crankin gets the lamp, and I get to find out what kind of bulb I need to locate!

:)

That one in the Triumph brochure is interesting, it looks as though it has more of a trim ring around the lens.... I wonder if mine is simply missing it. The lens screws on and off to get a bulb into it.