PDA

View Full Version : What lights are right?

crankin
10-07-2008, 11:39 PM
So, I have seen all sorts of configurations of lights from our pictures we post on the site...and they are all different.

Mine is a '72 SIII 88" has the front lights being the 4" amber in the lower corners and clear. The back is the chrome ring red on top and after market junk lights on the bottom.

So, how can I find out which configuration is right? Which lights were supposed to have chrome rings, size, etc...

Thanks.

s3landy
10-08-2008, 05:41 AM
My old 73 used to have the 4" amber signals on the bottoms and the white chrome rings in front (on top) and red chrome rings in back ( on top).

Mike

Terrys
10-08-2008, 06:07 AM
S3Landy, yours are correct. For a long time, the 4" Amber lenses were scarce, and very expensive. RDS now has them and they are reasonable. Unfortunately, the clear and red lenses that go with the Lucas bases with the chrome ring are now hard to find.
The RN Series/Defender catalog has a very good page shopwing the multitude of variations Land Rover used from '48 to present. They probably had a whole department whose sole responsibility was to keep changing the layout.

TSR53
10-08-2008, 07:39 AM
The RN Series/Defender catalog has a very good page showing the multitude of variations Land Rover used from '48 to present. They probably had a whole department whose sole responsibility was to keep changing the layout.

Front lights
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-102-front-lights.aspx

Rear Lights
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-103-rear-lights.aspx

As requested...
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/product/large/LR-page70.1.jpg

4flattires
10-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Were factory installed on vehicles destined for the North American Dollar Area (NADA). They would be positioned both in the front and rear.

The 4" amber units on RDS are similar, but different in the aspect that the 2 lens mounting screws are positioned closer to the center in the RDS version.

Jeff

Eric W S
10-08-2008, 07:49 AM
RDS has the exact ones. They may not be pictured, but they are available. You have to call.

Apis Mellifera
10-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Where's the chrome ring supposed to be? The only light-related chrome I have on my '73 is on the side marker.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00706.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00705.jpg

Speaking of side markers, is the rubber plinth/gasket available anywhere?

crankin
10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Speaking of side markers, is the rubber plinth/gasket available anywhere?

I am not sure if our host has the side marker plinth/gasket. I looked a whole back and must have not used the right search terms. I do know that BP, in California, has them.

crankin
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
So, am I correct in understanding that the 4" amber lights make are the same on the front and back? There were not two different 4" amber used?

Leslie
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Mine had the 4" ones front and back, but as I switched rear tubs during the rebuild, and went w/ all new wiring and lights, I went w/ the ambers the same size as the parking and brake lights. (However, I switched the headlights and the reverse light to Hella lamps instead, I can at least see now....)

Since the replacement tub was off of a IIa, and I also replaced the outer wings, I omitted the sidemarker lights (were in rough shape anyway). I mulled going through the effort of putting them on there, but, finally decided it would be a lot of work to get 'em on there right, only to have them as something else to get smacked off in the woods....

Leslie
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
So, am I correct in understanding that the 4" amber lights make are the same on the front and back? There were not two different 4" amber used?

Correct!

Les Parker
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
The info that Thompson gave is correct.
On the front 4" amber at the bottom and clear on top.
The rear had the deep 2.5" red lamp at top and 4" amber on the bottom.
I have not seen too many Series III's with the original format.
We have been unable to secure a reliable source on the side repeater lamps, either front or rear. Many folks have used the MG/Triumph lamps, though these have a curved rubber base as opposed to the flat base of the Landrover version.

My 2p

Terrys
10-08-2008, 12:32 PM
The curved rubbers (ala MGB) can be made flat with a stationary belt sander. You get to do your fingernails at the same time.
I can't remember if it was XKs Unlimited, Moss Motors or Minia-Mania, but one of them had flat ones awhile ago, so I bought 4. Before you ask, they're gone, on the last 2A I restored.

Leslie
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it was Moss, or maybe Victoria British.....

If RN doesn't have 'em, Uncle George has 'em, if you need 'em....... (gotta whatch how I phrase things here!)

BackInA88
10-08-2008, 02:31 PM
The curved rubbers (ala MGB) can be made flat with a stationary belt sander. You get to do your fingernails at the same time.
I can't remember if it was XKs Unlimited, Moss Motors or Minia-Mania, but one of them had flat ones awhile ago, so I bought 4. Before you ask, they're gone, on the last 2A I restored.

I bought the correct rubber pieces from Moss for $13.
I believe they have the red lens but not the amber.
I forget which vehicle they were listed under, I remember it took some digging on their site to find them.
Picked up a couple of the trim rings off eBay for $10 shipped.

Steve

Apis Mellifera
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
All I need is the black rubber. The Midget (rear) and Spitfire used similar marker lights, but the MGB used pointy markers like Midget front. Anyway, I found the rubber bits for a Spitfire (at $20 per!!!). I needed them recently for a Midget I restored and couldn't find them. I'll check Moss again.

Who is this uncle George character?

Terrys
10-08-2008, 03:00 PM
All I need is the black rubber. The Midget (rear) and Spitfire used similar marker lights, but the MGB used pointy markers like Midget front. Anyway, I found the rubber bits for a Spitfire (at $20 per!!!). I needed them recently for a Midget I restored and couldn't find them. I'll check Moss again.

Who is this uncle George character?

I stand corrected. I knew it was one of those little cars.
http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29347

George Laird is Rovers Down South