PDA

View Full Version : Toe In

pvkd
10-11-2008, 08:48 PM
What Toe In are you using?

The Green Bible describes the Toe-In in inches and mm but not in degrees.

Thanks,

Paul

Linus Tremaine
10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I think toe is supposed to be measured in inches or millimeters, not degrees. You want between 3/64" and 3/32" toe in for a series.

Camber is measured in degrees- 1.5 degrees positive for a series.

Caster is measured in degrees- 3 degrees positive for a series.

Neither of those are adjustable, though they can go out of spec if the railko bushing is worn or if the thrust washer is worn out.

pvkd
10-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Hello Linus,

I think the alignment guys work in degrees of toe not inches?

Paul

Linus Tremaine
10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Paul,
i think you should find a better shop :)

Alternatively, its quite easy to do your own.

Spray paint the tire while spinning it- paint a stripe along the tread surface all the way around the outer diameter of the tire. Then, you need to draw a line in that paint all the way around. Its common to make a stand with a nail sticking out of it. You want to make the stand so that you can hold it with your foot or similar while spinning the tire so that the nail scrapes a line in the paint evenly all the way around. You can build anything you want, just make sure the nail doesnt move side to side making an uneven line.

Then, just measure the distance from the line on one tire to the line on the other tire. Take the measurement on the front of the tires and from the back of the tires and adjust the track rod so that the measurement is 3/64-3/32" smaller in the front than it is in the rear.

I *think*, from what little searching I just did online, that toe is commonly measured in inches/mm

pvkd
10-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Linus,

Interesting method and definitely a method appropriate to the vehicle!

Paul

By the way I re-installed my springs with new spring bushings today. I also put new lock washers and thread locker on my front flange bolts. Now maybe they will stay tight.

amcordo
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi all!

So according to my haynes manual the alignment needs to be done at my local Leyland dealer... hm. Might be a problem.

Anyone suggest a good national alignment shop chain that they think is the best? Or more specifically won't start crying when I pull up?

jac04
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Then, just measure the distance from the line on one tire to the line on the other tire. Take the measurement on the front of the tires and from the back of the tires and adjust the track rod so that the measurement is 3/64-3/32" smaller in the front than it is in the rear.

Except that the Green Bible specifies that the toe be measured at the road wheel and not the tire. Your method will result in slightly less toe-in as measured in degrees. Probably not that big of a deal however.